How do you guys price installing plant material?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by leeslawncare, Oct 26, 2000.

1. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

How do some of you guys charge for planting plants?I've got to install 9 dwarf nandinas an 9 mums .i've already got the mulching job @ 70$ per yard .what would be a fair price to plant these .It is a commercial property if that matters.Thanks

2. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I typically charge 2x what I pay for the plant, & tack on a little extra for my travel time to pick-up the plants, gas etc.
    SJR

3. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

A good formula to use for installations is to take the price of mechandise double it and add twenty percent. This formula is used by a lot of general contractors in my area and it has worked well for me. I always like to bid jobs at $40/ hr plus material and when I compare this figure to the before mentioned formula they usually come out pretty close. You should also consider whether you are buying wholesale or retail. I always buy wholesale unless it can't be helped.
    Good luck,
    Stuart H. South

4. turfman99

turfman99 LawnSite Member

Ahh, some guys that know how to charge for their work. Excellent.

Plants material times 2. Charge your going rate ( I like that $ 40 per hour)on how long it takes you to plant the plants. Mininmum 1 hour of course. I always add at least 10% contingency to everything we do.

Add support time ( drive, shop etc) at the rate of 1 hour per 7 worked or a prorate portion of that.

Good price on the mulching also. Keep it up and you'll have a good year.

5. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Turfman99, i have to admit, your profile(life story) sounds pretty impressive. do you have any spare time??

6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I charge 2.5 times the price of the plant with 1-year warranty. The reason it's 2.5x instead of 2x is if a plant is replaced you break even, at 2.5 you still get something.

7. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Very informative thread. Answered two questions I was going to research over the weekend, all in one fell swoop.

Thanks again! :)

-TGC

8. GrassMaster

GrassMaster Senior Member

Hello Profiteers:

This was the hardest things that I had to do was figure Landscape Installation. Then I got lucky & one of the old Pros told me.

Yep he said in most cases, 2.3 X materials. Well I went 2.5 sometimes 3 X cost of materials.

But if it was a lot of manual labor I would up it some! I stayed at 2.5 to 3 X's in most cases. It sure did save me a lot of time & head scratching. Folks like it when you crank out a quick professional Estimate. Makes you look like ya gots brains!

After I did it a few times, I then came up with similar figures using the good ole X's factor for aerating, fertilizing & etc...

I love it whenever I can save time? I'm crazy about it.

Money is Work Divided by Time!

9. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replys!

10. HealthyLawns

HealthyLawns LawnSite Member

You guys just saved me a lot of figuring. Thanx for the info!