1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do you guys price materials?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by nobagger, Jun 7, 2005.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I am expanding more and more into landscaping this year and got a call for a new construction landscape bid. My question is how do you price the materials? I've heard triple your cost, double the cost and so on. Just wondering what the "norm" was?
  2. gartj

gartj LawnSite Member

To start, hopefully your buying your materials at wholesale. Fiqure out your materials and any other charges associated with the purchase of the materials. Add in your tax. That is your total cost. Hopefully you know what it takes to run your business daily , monthly, yearly and have that broken down to a percentage. Multiply that number into what your total wholesale cost of your materials was. Exaple the total cost of materials was $100 and you know you need to multiply in 30% to cover business costs. The new number is what your going to charge the customer for material cost. Add in your labor costs and some profit and that will be your bid. PM me for a better understanding if this doesn't make sense after reading it it might not be too clear.
  3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

gartj, thanks I understand. I think I have a bid thats right on the money. I have very low overhead....But I don't want to cheat myself from a more profitable bottom line. :waving:
  4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

There is no real "Norm" some triple,some double,some do it by percentages,some do it by other weird and fantastic formulas.I double and charge for my time on pick-out/pick-up and delivery of materials.Depends on what your paying,if your picking up or having delivered,ect,ect.