How do you guys protect yourself from....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KB8, Aug 4, 2004.

1. KB8

KB8 LawnSite Member
    from PA

customers claiming you robbed something from their home or buisness even though you never entered their home or business? What is there to protect you from someone just saying you did take something? Have you ever had this happen to you?

2. bladeheart

bladeheart LawnSite Member

Yes, I had a customer actually tell me that I snuck underneath his house to steal a piece of duct work. Needless to say, I droped him right there. In my opinion there are too many people needing service to deal with customers like that. I suggest if this has happened to you, you do the same thing.

3. KB8

KB8 LawnSite Member
    from PA

This person was very quick to call the cops I think. I got called into the police station to give my story etc. Turns out everything was cleared up. But it scared me from doing lawn work for people now. I dont want any trouble. I get nervous about stuff like dat. I was a wreck during this whole ordeal. I mean how can you protect yourself from people just saying this to police? Share youre experiences with this. thanks guys

4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Years ago, I had a client accuse us of stealing a Craftsman chain saw out of his garage. I think I was more insulted that he thought I would want a Craftsman chain saw. I knew it wasn't us, and I still have the guy as a client.

5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Had a customer that always wanted to pay me cash. The one time I wasn't there she supposedly left it in the milk container. Needles to say when I went to collect the money wasn't there. I called her and asked where it was, and was accused of stealing it. Called the cops, so I went to the house. Cop pretty much said, she has no proof, but neither do you. Last time I worked there. :rolleyes:

6. CJ GreenScapes

CJ GreenScapes LawnSite Member
    from AL

LOL :D

7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Anyone who services homes/businesses are the first suspects from the homeowner and the police perspective. I didn't realize this until I started doing commercial pest elimination and was servicing restaurants at night by myself (keys, alarm codes). They have good reasons for it sorry to say. I've seen some dishonest service men and made sure that anything I did was above board. This helps but won't prevent an accusation. I tell the truth, I don't steal and I sleep like a baby. Don't let something that "may happen" worry you.

8. KB8

KB8 LawnSite Member
    from PA

good advice. I guess if they have no proof cops cant do anything really. Dont they need to catch ya red handed

9. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I would call their bluff, pull out my cell phone, and say, "Well, we better call the police right now then and get this taken care of should't we." ...then after their dropped...I would add, "Besides, I'm going to need an official police report when I go to sue you."

That should just about take care of it.

10. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

they have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you did it. that would be hard if you didn't do it. being alone on premisis is circumstancial only. i would warn, anybody who threatened to take me to small claims court, of this and also explain that I would be suing for my time away from work and my legal expenses if I am found innocent. sole proprieters are able to do this because their livelyhood completely depends on their ability to conduct business.