How do you guys tie down your 21" mowers ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ATL Lawn, Sep 21, 2006.

1. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

How do you guys tie down your 21" mowers to your pickup only?

just like someone else mention in there post today, they were going to have a 21" crew, i've been thinking the same thing, i was going to get a cheep truck next year (ie 2006/07 ranger , or colorado) and have a crew run a 21" only.

[​IMG]

In downtown atlanta area (grant park, buckhead, townhomes, atlantic station, ect) there is no room for my 12' enclosed trailer. and most yards are on a 2' or taller retaining wall and only takes a 21" mower to cut about 15-20mins. i get TONS of calls for these types of yards but usualy i turn them down because i hate driving down there with my trailer and having no where to park. (small alleys, large busy streets with no parking signs)

So back to my question. how do you guys have that setup?
    i have a plastic bed liner so my holes are covered up, and dont really have a spot to tie down equipment, just wondering have anyone rigged up a box or a small version of a prolocker for a 21" mower?

2. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

When you are working from a pickup with 21s you just gotta have somewhere to bungee them to. It takes two bungees to secure my 26" snapper that I use to get through gates and to mow postage stamps in the city. You will find you have a lot of things to bungee down working from a pick up.

3. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Just turn them diagonally inside the wheel wells.

4. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

ratchet straps, or a couple of strong bungees. working out of the back of a pick-up, sucks. especially when you are solo and have a 125 plus pound commercial 21". not as bad with two people though. good luck.

5. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

get one of these then use a bungee into the expand a metal.

and no this isn't my truck. for some reason my truck pic wouldn't load. This is lawn Jockey's pre graphics, I believe.

city truck.JPG

6. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

hey, is that a ranger i see?

how much does that outfit/retrofit run?

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know, I'm allergic to pushmowers.

8. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

When I just load up the pick-up instead of taking the trailer I tie down my 21s with strong bungees.

9. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

I know the feeling turning 40 next week i have picked one yard this season for push mowing a $35 on a two week cut 30 min tops.

10. MoviePimp

MoviePimp LawnSite Member
    from IN

Nothing needed. Two 21"ers fit somewhat snuggly in the bed {--} with room on the side for a backpack and trimmer and couple of gas cans. You can experiment with how you pack to see what is most stable. Used this in an old toyota SR5 and now works great in my Mazda (Ford Ranger) B3000 4X4. Only pain is when you need additional equipment or need to haul anything off, because there is little room for much else. This is ideal for a two man crew. When I ran solo I used a homemade ramp and wedged it behind rear mower wheels, it worked well enough.