How do you guys work out vacation time?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DirtRider, Aug 9, 2006.

1. DirtRider

DirtRider LawnSite Member

I have a few accounts a week that I do after my full time day job and have dreaming of making this a full time career. The problem is the four weeks of vacation and a week of sick time I would be giving up. How do you guys take time off? I know that the lawns do not quite growing? Do you only take time off during the winter months? I guess this question is directed more at the solo ops? I have many questions and will try to keep each one to its own thread.

2. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Time off is very difficult, not imposable though. Y ou have to be disciplined to not bite off more than you can chew. Keep work were your getting done in 8-9 hours mon-fri(mon-thur if possible). Then you you know you want some time of you just work you butt off 12 hrs a day and get it done in 3 days and have a small vac maybe 5 days(thats summer time) your not going to get butt maybe 1 in the summer. Winter is the best time to take off for longer periods though.

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

What is time off????

And what is 4 weeks vacation?????:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Just the joys of being a solo self employed

Employees--
    Or Winter

Yep, working for "the man" really stinks- Sick time-- 4 weeks vacation-- steady pay check-- A PAYCHECK:) -- Health insurance-- Weekends off-- Nights off-- Can't see how anybody would put up with that:laugh:

4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Who the hell takes time off. Well I did only to get married last year and I just told all of my customer's they would not be mowed that week. The bad part is we would have liked to honeymoon for 2 weeks but we only went for one week. Thats the price of owning and running your own business. But this season I can honestly say we have only NOT worked one weekend due to a funeral since the 2nd week of April with landscaping jobs and mowing during the week.

5. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Before I got sick I had 12 weeks of sick leave. Now I am down to 6 weeks of sick leave and about that many in vacation leave. In a years time I had 3 surgeries. and 9 weeks of chemo. with 3 weeks of chemo every day.

Thank God for health insurance, cover the vast majority of the cost. I worked as much as I could through this ordeal. But I owned a different business at the time, along with working for a steady paycheck. The business suffered, and we sold it.

Not happy with just 40 hours a week. Started doing lawn care, some landscaping, and setting grave stones. This year I didn't push the lawn care too hard, waiting on my health, wanting to make reasonably sure things were stable. Will market the fall clean up and snow removal, thereby guaranteeing a easy winter.

My work schedule allows free time during the weeks, and some times mornings or mid afternoon on to focus on the lawn care.

Working for pay check, insurance, and vacation are all very good things, even if the job is not the most fun. Best advice is to weigh the advantages of all things involved. All the pro's of each and all the con's of each. If you want time off, it is possible, but requires a fair amount of planning and flexibility.

6. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

If you plan on beginning in this industry for any length of time you MUST have sometime off you will burn yourself out. The problem is people get GREEDY see all that $$$, yeah its out there but if you dont have time to enjoy it whats it worth?? I plan to make a good living not try to get RICH JMO.

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

If you plan on surviving on your own as a solo then there are no vacations during the season.

8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

time off is definitely necessary. I find that I can typically go 21-30 days without time off before I start getting careless. I forget tools or do something in the wrong order, drive halfway across town for an estimate and realize I don't have the address with me, etc. I'm taking a 3 day weekend this weekend before my schedule gets crazy again, can't wait!

9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Long weekends here and there, ya...........
    Week long vacations or longer loses too much income for a solo.

10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

maybe in the winter, but most do snow removal that time of year. you work during the season... period, sounds like this really isnt for you...