How do you handle a pushy home owner

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RoyalZ, Mar 15, 2005.

1. RoyalZ

RoyalZ LawnSite Member

I ve got this one guy who is very demanding insisting on a timely cut, getting value and asking for more work than what is required. How would you handle this type of Customer?

2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd tell him to shut-up, go back in the house before I charge extra for the inconvienance, or I'd mulch his azz.
    Seriously, this is why you need to have contracts with "ALL" of your customers. A contract spells out exactly what's expected of you and your service and what is expected from the customer as far as payment is concerned. If it's not in writing in the contract it's an extra and should be charged accordingly.

3. RoyalZ

RoyalZ LawnSite Member

Thanks that is what I was looking for. I dont have contracts now and will have to think about what the verbage will be...seems like a fine edge sword.

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Contractor has the right to cancel contract with a 7 days written notice, All monies will become due immediatly.
    Easy enough!

5. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Dump him.

Do a search on contracts. You will find tons of people's ideas. No need to try and re invent the wheel. Just pick and chose from the best. Steve at Fantasy Lawns has some good verbage.

6. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

How would I handle a customer like that? I would get rid of him! (Really.)

I totally get rid of those people - quick. I have no tolerance for it.

I've had people change their tune and agree to my rules when they saw they had pushed too far. Either they bend or they are gone. Period. :waving: ba bye :D

7. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

you never want to quit on a customer. the way you get rid of them, is to raise their price to a point where you don't mind the inconvienience of listening to him. it's better for him to say his prices were to high, than he was unreliable and walked out on me.

8. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

I'd load up my stuff and drive away

9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I think this is a case you want to quit on a customer. Unless you will be pushed around because your worried about what one person will say.

10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Please tell me more.
    A timely cut, and getting value are things that I don't have a problem doing for the customer. After all I would expect that from a lawn service if I hired one. Please tell us what he is asking for that is more than required? I have had PITA customers that wanted things done and we understood that there is a charge for that. The charge can be a flat rate or hourly depending on what is involved. I know that some people can make odd requests but you have to sit back and see if you can make the situation work for you. They need help with something and if I can do something for them and make a buck, we are both happy.

Customers aren't always easy to come by and people do talk. If you have people knocking your door down for your service, it is easier to mutually dissolve your relationship but that has to be done carefully. A PITA customer may just slam you to everyone that they can if you just tell him to piss off. If you feel that you can't work with the person then consider tactful ways to sever the relationship. Like I said, if you have people ringing your phone off the hook it is easier to get rid of them but only you know how your reputation will be effected by the way you handle the situation.

If you can accommodate this person and make money then why not, as long as its reasonable to you. Try and swing it to your favor instead of just dumping him. I have a few of these people that want to have control until I talk with them. They still feel like they have control but I am calling the shots and getting paid also. Its a game of human relations, make it work for you. Good Luck.