How do you handle fitting new accounts in your schedule?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CutNLawns, Dec 2, 2004.

1. CutNLawns

CutNLawns LawnSite Member

What I mean is if you are adding account do you honor them if they request a certain day/time they want their lawn done or just fit them in where it works best for you? I know I would want mine done on Thur of Fri so I can enjoy it more on the weekend but you can't schedule everyone for those days. Is this even an issue with people or do most just want it done when ever? Certainly logistics plays a big part but I was just wondering if you ran into special requests and could it make/break a contract if you can not fit them in when they want.

2. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I try to keep residential properties toward the end of the week. It also depends on my weekly routes and availability.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

If a customer requests a certain I tell the customer up front that I will try, but due to weather and tight schedule routes, that it is not guaranteed. I always try to group the customers together by location on the route.

4. Tulsa Lawn Guy

Tulsa Lawn Guy LawnSite Member

I try my best to fit them in where they want to be, but sometimes it's hard. I service mostly residential clients and it seems like everyone wants to be mowed on friday... It's just not going to happen for everyone...

5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I set the schedule and don't allow the customer to do so and explain that. BUT what I do on residentials is first, at the beginning of each season I give my Highest level full service customers and then my oldest and best customers the option of Thurs or Fri cuts. Then next any slots that may be left over I allow to any regular or new customer at a $2 surcharge above their quoted rate for Thur or Fri . I explain that because everyone wants their lawn maintained on those two days that we can of course only service so many and thus why we have the surcharge. I also in turn offer a $2 Discount for those taking Mon or Tue cuts (I also explain the discount as to these being the most unwanted cut days). Scheduling policy and rates are also published in the rate chart we mail to each customer at the beginning of the season and during the season for those we pick up then.

I have never really had any issues doing it this way.

6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

You hit the nail on the head here,I tell them oh you live on this side of the city we service that area on Tuesday.