How do you handle hurricanes?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenchoppers, May 31, 2010.

1. greenchoppers

greenchoppers LawnSite Member

Hello forum,

Scenario: Hurricane XYZ just pummeled your area. Most gas stations are closed due to the destruction of electrical utility grids and/or physical damage to the gas station itself. There is plenty of post-hurricane clean up work out there and you want to capitalize on it. But there is one problem: getting fuel for equipment and trucks.

I was wandering how those of you prone to hurricanes handle getting gas and other needed supplies in a post-hurricane era?

For those of you not prone to hurricanes but may be susceptible to other natural disasters (i.e, tornadoes, ice storms, etc), how do you handle getting gasoline for your equipment?

2. AmGreen

AmGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Have enough gas on hand to make it through a week. If nothing is back up and running at the end of that week, road trip to find an open station...

3. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Grew up in N. Louisiana, now in E. Texas so have been through a few 'cains, including on on the coast when I was in the USAF at Eglin AFB. Currently I have a big 12KW Honda generator that is a bit of a gas hog, so I make sure it is filled( about 5 gal) the Scag is filled (9 gal) and an old jd lawn tractor ( About 5 there) the car is filled( 19) and 8 5 gal gas cans. That's about 78 gal, can always sipon out for generator if needed, although I never had to run it over 8 hours. Diesel truck is also ful at39 gal.

4. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

got enough gas to run a week, and enough diesel to run a month, plus a generator to ron necessities in the shop.

5. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

Usually you can't mow right after a hurricane, so your using chainsaws, so if you were realy in need of gas, you could siphon it out of your mowers and add oil to it it for saws, same with trimmers, you might want to use your blowers though, diesel on the other hand, that'd be a little harder to obtain unles you had a tank or diesel mowers, bt if you were in need of it, you could steel it from semi trucks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. greenchoppers

There are a few different options we may entertain in order to keep our equipment running. However, no matter how bad we are in need, theft will not be an option.

7. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

LOL...Whenever you have a natural disaster people just start looting. I didnt know that people planned it in advance.:laugh:

8. ajslands

I personally wouldn't steel, unless I had to save my family or someone else,
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. ajslands

I didn't say anything about planning
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. greenchoppers

Around here in South Louisiana in post-hurricane periods, marshal law is declared. You would probably get shot even trespassing or being too close to someone's property. You don't want to violate anyones personality, rights, space or anything else for that matter.