How do you handle jobs after tornados?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Jul 15, 2004.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

This past month we have had several small tornados and bad wind that has put a lot of limbs down, It has taken me on some yards 3 times as long and I have beencharging just a little extra.This afternoon we had the worst storm Ive ever seen in my 45 years. It took me 2 hours to drive 10 miles home after picking the kids up. There were trees across the road and trees blown over everywhere. My town looked like a war zone. All my yards have pecan (that I HATE) and pines and oaks. I know tommrow is going to be awful. The area hardest hit has several od my lawns with the d##n pecan trees and I know how its going to be. The custoers re goinng to say "your supposed to pick up the limbs" but this is way beyond the norm. How do you folks handle this that have the cheap pita customers that I have?

Danny
    Qualtiy Lawn Care

2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a line in our contract saying storm clean up is extra. But I am on the Outer Banks of NC. Storms are pretty much a given.

3. Fat Eddie

Fat Eddie LawnSite Member

You are supposed to pick up sticks and twigs, not "Limbs." Limbs are what come down in storms and which requires chain saws, and thus, extra charges.

4. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I'd be trying to make an OPPORTUNITY out of this NEGATIVE. I'd call all of my customers and say something like "I'm just checking to see how you came through the storm. Are there any downed trees or limbs that you will need removed for a reasonable price? I can bill your insurance, as alot of policies have coverage for "debris removal"." Might drum you up some extra business. From your posts, it has been tight down there. I'd get my chain saws out and some extra chains and take them along with you the next few days and see what business can be picked up!

Mike

5. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Good Advise !

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

we have had no tornadoes but straight line winds instead.

junk blown down all over. the guys with small trucks and chippers are making a killing.

as for me, I have done quite alot of free :cry: chain saw work.

when I am cutting grass, if something only takes a couple of minutes of saw work, I am outta there.

GEO

7. protouchlawn

protouchlawn LawnSite Member

When I walked outside at daylight last year the morning after Hurricane Isabel, it was obvious that there would be NO MOWING for a couple of weeks. We unloaded the mowers and trimmers and loaded chain saws, pole saws, and my small chipper and just went on the route. To make a long story short, I took care of my regular customers first in order of severity of damage. When people saw us working and stopped to see when we might get to them, I just took names and phone numbers and went from there. In about 6 days of one shot deals, my helper and I took in enough to pay for the new 7x12 Bri-Mar dump trailer we picked up on day 7, and then we REALLY got into it. The point is , you should have ample opportunity to pick up a few extra bucks from this storm. Just get out there and be visible!!! Good Luck!

8. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya they call them "gustnados" around here. A tornado picks up yer trayler, oops, mobile home, spins it around, and slams it to the ground, a gustnado just blows the roof off'n it.
    The best thing to do is put a bunch of old tires on your roof to hold it down. Really, I've seen this.
    Crawdad

9. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Today it took me 6 hours to do 2 yards that usually take me 2 hours to do. Oe customer already called and left a message that her yard was horrible and to bring a chain saw, would pay me whatever $$$$ Im not going to get this comment from very many. Trying to make a profitable thing out of this.

Danny

10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

My contract reads"pick up casual debris" for weekly service
    also "The scope of this maintenance contract does not include additional maintenance required or repair of damage due to vandalisam, WEATHER, vehicular or pedstrian traffic, act of God, or Damage by others. Such work shall be considered an extra service and shall be authorized by a serparete work order."
    This has worked well for me. Most people will work with you ($) to get the yard bach in shape.