How do you handle this?!?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassrootsinab, Jun 4, 2004.

1. grassrootsinab

grassrootsinab LawnSite Member
    from up here

Last fall I picked up a new client that wanted the grass cut every other week. The yard was a medium corner lot and took us about 15 minutes so it was pretty easy money. I called this spring to see if they wanted us to continue service and he sort of "hummed and hawed" and said yeah, take a look when it needs it.

So we had a couple of really wet weeks and I had been watching it. The days they were scheduled it was too wet to cut. I go to cut them when it dries up and the yard is cut by someone else. No prob, he has a mower and probably did it himself to get caught up. The next week I'm on my schedule and the yard is cut again. I've been by 2 other times and it is cut.

Now it's obvious they don't need/want me but do you call to confirm or just ignore it and take 'em of the list?
  2. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

I would give them a call. Nothing is obvious in this business.. It may be they think your the one cutting it. May be your comp. crew is going to the wrong house.
  3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Definately call them. I would have called him after the first time it was cut, and figured out what was going on. And explain why you didn't cut because of the wet conditions.

After my first season, I stopped taking on bi-weekly lawns. Too much trouble!
  4. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

i think you missed the boat on this one. You should have been in contact with them when you did NOT cut. They most likely thought you werent coming by and just hired someone else. If my lawn was going mad and my guy didnt show then i would assume he wasnt coming and look elsewhere.

I would still follow up, but that is JMO
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

have to agree with acute on this one.
  6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i say WHO CARES????? it's an every other week account who wants you to "look when it needs it". these types are not profitable. don't even waste the dime to call them.
  7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Wow, I must not be feeling well. The last two posts bobby has made, I actually agree with. Why bother calling? That account wasn't even worth your time.
  8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

somebody mark the calender, jodi got smart today
  9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

LMAO...that is too funny