How do you handle utilities?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by rvsuper, Jul 23, 2003.

?

How do you handle utilities?

1. Just run over top without digging

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Raise blade

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Dig, raise blade

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. Dig, if deep enough, keep blade down

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

When pulling in pipe, how do you guys handle the underground utilities that are marked? Do you dig where you are going to pull a line in, or do you just raise the blade up a few inches, then back down when your past it, or do you know that the utilities are down far enough that you don't even have to do anything? Right now I dig a hole where ill be pulling a line in, and when I get it pulled back in, I just back fill it and put sod back in. I know it's law to dig, but I am just wondering how ya'll do it.

2. jasond

jasond LawnSite Member

We hand dig 30" (15" each side of the mark) whenever there is a utility in place. Sewer, water, & power should be deep, as well as gas, but better safe then sorry. As for phone and cable, we dig to 18", if no cable, then we plow and stay at about 10-12".

3. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

this response is coming from a person who hit 2 gas lines in the past 6 months. i still pull pipe shallow over the markings. i am just too lazy to dig...i know that is stupid, but i am honest.

i now excavate the gas and water curbboxes and have the curb key ready just incase.:dizzy: