How do you handle?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mike Leary, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I posted a while ago about how to schedule "Monday madness" service calls
    & I thought,maybe a new do you do it? who gets the first call?
    "Water Feature" (worst problem..slowest pay?) Do you call them saying "jeez, we're swamped", or," I think (brand xxx irrigation company )could handle this." Do you look in the phone book ( as you're listening to their description of the chaos) & see what part of your market they're
    in? Could it be a "plum" that you'd kicked yourself for not making room?
    I'll admit it on this secure forum, I never had any ads on my trucks, so as to
    "drive-bye" need to look at all sites for service (which becomes management)
  2. I schedule Mondays like any other day. I'm scheduled from 7 to 14 days out at times so i just do the best i can squeezing stuff in during the week. I do keep Saturdays open for spill over work.
  3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Jeez, the weeping of a contractor:cry:
  4. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I never had any luck w/ the concept of leaving Monday "open". Bean counters don't like the idea you might not have work. Even when I was on percentage, Monday was mostly full. I have tried to make sure the monday sched. had things on it that could be "pushed". I have had better luck keeping part of a day open on Tuesday. This gives a spot to fill in after you make the call back. If you don't fill the spot with weekend spill-over, you have all day Monday to adjust Tuesday's schedule.
  5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I leave Monday mornings open until about 10:00 for me so I can make all the return calls from the weekend. But as usual something "important" creeps in there. I have a 9:00 tomorrow close to my house.
  6. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

This would be the same for any business, but I keep the weekends completely open & keep the week booked as solid as possible. If I don't have anything happen I get my weekend off.
  7. Returned after installing a meter and other service work today. Today is the typical "Monday Madness" and I returned 21 calls. I am really good at knowing a customer, where they live and the condition of their system. This way I can schedule calls in the same area and know how much time they need. I try and schedule 8-10 service calls a day.