How do you heat workers do it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Twotoros, Aug 13, 2001.

1. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

My hats are off to you guys who have been working in triple digit
    heat. It has hit 101 here sunday and today and I don't like it. 90's seem cool now.
    How do you all cope?

2. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Besides lots of fluids, the only thing that works is to wear a cap and keep your head wet! It feels like you just got out of a pool. :blob3:

3. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

It just takes getting used to...Not a problem anymore.

Time now 8:19 CT and it is 100 degrees at our location.

4. Pauls Mowing

Pauls Mowing LawnSite Member

Heat in the high 80's and low 90's with dew points around 75 to 82 have been tough. I will admit, I was starting to get used to it. Thinking about filling out deposit slips helps though!!

Paul

5. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

If you work in it all the time (like we can do anything about it anyway) your body will adjust. I feel sorry for you up north with all the high heat lately. It's like working in air conditioning all the time, then trying to work out side. Really tough. Just suck it up like we do and you'll do fine. Drink lots of water too.

6. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

It's not the heat its the humidity. Or in our case...both. Southern Ontario is actually a steam bath many days each summer believe it or not. We drink tons of water, work at a more relaxed pace, cool off in an air-conditioned environment for lunches and try to start and finish our days earlier.

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

heat just aint the same for a youngun that it is for older men.
    thats the first thing i noticed as i got older.im in fairly decent shape but i still cant take the heat like i use to. if anyone has
    tried anything that worked. id be interested.

8. raymow

raymow LawnSite Member
    from tampa

i wear a straw hat , sweat band along with my blue blockersthats
    how i cope.

9. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

I just keep telling myself that if I don't get out and get it done, someone else will. Now is also a good time to raise your rates. Good luck, Russ

10. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

The thought of making $ 6.00- $8.00 per hour working for the man is what keeps me going in this heat. That and alot of water.