How do you increase production of your employees???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MidAtlantic, Jan 31, 2005.

1. MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic LawnSite Member

Okay I was wondering how you guys increase production of the crews that are not supervised out in the field each day? We can't hold their hands each and every day making sure they aren't milking the clock. You know if their hourly employees their narrow minds only know one equation (x$$$'s times 8 hours of work = y$$$ but if I ad an extra hour here and there the boss will never know and y$$$'s will be much more) I personally hate that way of thinking but know that goes on everyday.

We have all been in business for a while and know that these seasonal guys don't work for you cause they like us or the company. We know that they are not company guys that will do something for the company on their own time for free...They are all take take take...

I am sure some of you guys have experimented with ways to increase their work performance and cut back on the milking of the clock....Do you have a quota they have to meet each day or pay them a bonus for completing so many lawns in a given day? Guess theres really only two ways either dangle money in front of their face with bonuses cause they love to make money or dangle their job in front of their face....

Please let all of us know if something has worked or hasn't worked for you.

Thanks

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

It's probably a little of both.

I never "threaten" anyone with dismissal. What I try to ascertain is why someone may not be able to keep up with the work load and go from there. I also am asking my guys all the time during the year what they feel we can be doing differently and better too.

And yes, money talks. I pay $15 - $20 an hour for LCO work and $30 an hour to plow.

3. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

you can offer incentives which would not necessarily cost you anything.
    such as if you know a route of 12 houses should take on average 8 hours, tell the guys if they finish early, they'll get paid for 8 hours. this may/may not work depending on your workers, and you'll have to ensure the quality does not suffer.
    another thing is to surprise a hard working crew with a reward, so they know there is a possibility of one in the future.
    share the wealth. the more your workers feel they are part of the company rather than working for the company, the more productive they will be.
    I can't gurantee any of their results, but just some suggestions is all

4. scaglawnsnj

scaglawnsnj LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Push the thought of, Your hiring crew chiefs. Post a sign at shop looking for crew chiefs..Then hold a meeting, State that there are going to be some changing of things for the better of the co. State that none productive employees might loose there job. If changes aren't for the better. These guys will start to shiver. Then will word double too keep there job, Only if the fear is there. State that productive,well organized,motivated,work Worthy employees with get a ??.?? bonus each week. Be gentle with them, like there your family, but also be firm.
    Yes i read books on good management

5. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

In reply to being paid 8 hours even if they finish early I would be afraid that guys would race through the work and do a low quality job just to finish fast. Trying to go to fast could casue damage to equipment/properties? Anyone have some expierence running crews like that and does it work?

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

You need some sort of production-based incentives for the crew leader (or even entire crew), but the bonus/incentive should be also contingent on their route being complaint-free. This is something I'll be working on in the future.

Sometimes it just helps to make sure everyone knows the crew leader is the guy in charge, and that he'll be the one catching the hell when things go wrong. If everyone on the crew likes each other they might be more willing to give that little bit extra.

7. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you increase production of your employees???

Beatings, lots of beatings :angry:

8. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

do you guys track customer satisfaction through formal surveys? for my replacement window company, besides reviewing my crew's work on my own (never know when i'll show up... :)), i also send customer surveys with every final invoice. you could do this every half season and bonus off of that or some other incentive. placing the survey with the invoice allows the customer to complete it at the same time they are stuffing the check into the provided SASE.

tony

9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

.......... like this?........

MID_THE-BEATINGS-WILL-CONTINUE.jpg

10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I am with the beatings route, only problem is OSHA has yet to approve my beating schedule and beating implements. Sure wish the govenrnment would get more efficient on things like that.

So I guess I will just have to resort to my two layer incentive program.

Layer one, pay rate determined by employee.
    Start them at whatever (here it is $8.00) then, pass the edger / blower test get $.25 per hour. Pass the weed eater test $.50 per hour. Pass the mower test $.25 per hour. Get liscensed for roundup, $.50 per hour. Show up everyday and on time $.25 per hour that week. Each test separated by 1 months employment, first test available after one week. Make it a public contest for last thing on Friday so peer pressure is a helpful tool. Make the test easy enough to pass if you know what you are doing and after you pass, no excuses when given the weedeater on 200' of ditch line. No riding the mower all day until the mower test is passed. So you have a double incentive. Paid more and do easier work.

Second incentive level - team incentive. $200 per quarter for grunts $400 for foreman
    Pick 3 or 4 properties that you are going to pick apart for service. Do not tell them which ones. Explain the grading procedure. 30% for timeliness, 20% for turf appearance, 15% for trim work, 15% for hedges, 10% for cleanliness, 10% customer feedback. To be graded on a scale of 1-100. Then multiply the grade times their incentive. They get an 80% then the bonus is $160 instead of $200. Small dollars for you half a paycheck for them and it makes them work as a team. One slacker torpedoes the bonus for all of them.