How do you keep cats out of your beds?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by greenchoppers, Feb 19, 2011.

1. greenchoppers

greenchoppers LawnSite Member

I was wondering how you keep cats out of your beds? Someone told me moth balls will keep cats away. Aside from the sometimes unpleasant odor, has anyone tried moth balls or any other repellent?

2. Century Landscape

Century Landscape LawnSite Member

Damn, wish I knew.

I'm interested to see the posts on this one. My wife's cat ****'s in my beds all the time and spreads my mulch all over the place.

I don't know of any animal that likes the smell of mothballs . . . correction, I don't know of any thing that likes the smell of mothballs . . period!:)
  3. Century Landscape

Century Landscape LawnSite Member

I did use moth balls once around the house after I found a snake inside. Have heard other people use this one and it pretty much always works for them.
  4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

A three way mix of black pepper, cayenne pepper, and powdered English mustard. Equal parts of each shaken together, then sprinkled where animals do not belong. It works on dogs that go where they should not be going also.
  5. Hoy landscaping

Hoy landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i have a dog. and if she doesnt work i have a .22
  6. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

becareful with the mothballs. A guy was using them for skunks and a eighbors cat eat a few and died. When they tracked down what happened the vet notified the state, and the guy was fined. I forget the actual wording but it was along the lines of imporper use of a pesticide or something along those lines
  7. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

In an effort to get this back on track I would also welcome a non lethal control method for cats. I built this really nice planting table for my wife and the cats, 3 one for each of our boys, think its a giant litter box. Its about the size of a pool table and its under our patio cover. I will try the pepper mix but I have never had any luck with those types of concoctions. Bring it on what else has worked for you.
  8. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Motion-activated sprinkler, works great!
  9. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

What NAZI deleted my post about my cute killer "IZZY"?
    Izzy would never poo in beds! he's a polite kitty!

Attached Files:

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Wood chips.