How do you keep track?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnshark, Apr 14, 2001.

1. Lawnshark

Lawnshark LawnSite Member

I am having trouble finding a good system of scheduling our yards for the week/month. Does anyone have a really good system of scheduling so you don't forget? I am an organizational nut but I can't seem to find one that will work. Thanks.

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I just keep a log of what i do every day in a note book and what they owe and if they have paid and the date they were cut. I just scan that notebook at the end of the day and the beginning to see who is due for a cut

3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I use "Microsoft Access" to create a data base with my own fields ...like "grass type, height, access issues, date, name, phone, price, day, route etc." ..helps to print a daily schedule for crew leaders to check off ....write notes.....or for my self to tighten up a route as we gain new accounts.......from there I can switch things around or gather info based on a single field ...

when we get a new account I fill in the fields ...print out a single copy and send it to my CPA so she has all the info she needs for quick books ...and I have a handy reference sheet with all customer info

4. Scott H

Scott H LawnSite Member

I agree with charles, I keep a log of who was cut on which date and if they paid or not. You can look at the log and tell if the yard needs to be cut, just by how many days it has been.

Scott

5. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Buy a program. Click on one of the sponsers and check out a sample. I use CLIP.

6. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I just keep 3x5 index cards in a box with customer's name, address,phone #, when they were cut, and if they paid or not. It's simple and seems to work ok.

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I believe the process depends on how many accounts. I work solo, so only have about 35 accounts. I used to use the index card system. Now I use a little different scheme. After I got started, I too was having trouble, "...did I forget somebody?"

The index card system I used was pretty simple. I took 3X5 cards, punched a hole in upper left corner, drew a line down the middle. The top line has customer name in right upper corner, in big letters. All cards are put on a ring, say 1 1/2" diameter. The lines on the card are used to record the next mow time, and the actual mow time. They are sorted on the ring according to next mow time. IOW, all those schedule for a Mnday are grouped together. AFter finishing a job, the actual date of doing the work is recorded, and the card is moved on the ring, sliped between other cards with an earlier date, and later date. AS work progresses over the days, every card must be handled. The cards just continue to be rotated backward, and when "their" day approaches, they will be "on top." I'm sure there are some variations on this scheme, but it is sure to work because EVERY card must be processed, and it will show up with other work scheduled for that day.

Now, I work a bit differently. I have a homemade calender in my three ring notebook, with my journal. It has six days per week (I don't work on Sunday), along with six openings below the date (usually, I can schule no more than six mowings per day). I made the calender with WordPerfect columns, landscape format. I worte a program to develop the calender dates, and DOF, then merged them into making the final form. At the end of every day, I check off those I completed that day, AND write the name of the customer into a slot for the next mowing on another calender page. It is a simple appointment scheme, nothing complicated. The key is to always write the name of every customer completed today into another date (the next week for weekly customers). This isn't quite as fail safe as the index cards discussed above.

Also, I have a program to create an ageing report every night after logging in my work on the PC. I have written a program that reads a report from Quicken and reports on EVERY customer the number of days since last mowing. This provides a check for me to be sure I've entered all the present day's work (days since last mow = 0). As days pass, the names will propogate their way to the top of the list (I sort the list in the program, descending on days since last mow).

I do have a fear of forgetting somebody!

Sorry for the long explanation...

8. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I use the old notebook method and then mark them paid as I go. I want to know who pays their bill before I cut them. I always flip back through to see who is next in line to cut. After about a couple weeks, you get to know where to go next.

I am considering getting a software program to make it easier on billing and processing complaints and phone calls. I hate it when customers tell me they told me this and that on the phone and I never right it down in a ledger.

9. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

Quit wasting your time and money and invest in a good program. We've used lawn monkey since '99 and the way they're going we sometimes feel like little kids at Christmas when we hear they have a new feature added to the program coming out.

10. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Well i bill monthly an i've got a palm pilot.that seems to work well with us. we us quick books pro.