How do you keep your edge looking CRISP

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mack77, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Mack77

Mack77 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I edge beds in the spring when we do mulch, and they come out beautiful. Then after a month or so, after regular mower, trimming the edge looses it's shape. I see many homes and business with beds that look like they've been 'cookie cut' from the earth. How do ya'll do it? Are the beds re-edged every other week? If so..with what tool are you using?

Take care!

2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Using an edgit attachment on a trimmer will achieve that look. I've also seen people use stick edgers to clean up the edge quick.

3. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I edge the beds with my trimmer, edge the concrete with edger everyweek.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I do the same thing as Chad and it looks great.

5. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I periodically re-edge the beds with the stick edger.....

6. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Stick edger.........
    -TAZ

7. mowingtowing

mowingtowing LawnSite Member

string trimmer every visit for the beds and asphault driveways (trimming verticaly) and stick edger every visit for curb and anything concrete.

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

For those yards with good, sharp edges (1-3" deep, 90 degrees from horizontal), I run my Stihl FC85 stick edger each week. I have one case in which the customer did the edging, about 6" deep, 30 degrees slant. The stick edger does not work here, but running the string trimmer upside down against the sloping surface keeps the edge very sharp. Using the trimmer this way takes much practice, but keeps a much better edge than with the stick edger.