How do you keep your high level of motivation?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doster's L & L, May 5, 2004.

1. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

What i'm talking about here is, in late winter - early spring i am very eager to go to new prospects homes and take measurements of their lawn and landscape and do designs. Then when we run the down the list and check off the finished jobs, i am not nearly as eager to to the same thing with the ones that call a month or so later. I start wanting to drag my butt in getting to them. I seem to find something else to do than to go to see what they want me to do. Or if i have a design to do, i'd rather be outside working than to be inside putting a design together. I love working outside, but i'd just assume to have the jobs to fall in my lap instead of doing what it takes to land the job.

I guess i'm just asking if anyone else goes through this. What do i need to do to keep my motivation up?

2. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

All I ever have to do to keep motivated is to think back of all the crappy jobs and all the crappy bosses I've had. That's when everything comes back into focus.

3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I remember making $7.50 an hour working as a lifeguard, and being hit on by a gay 82 year old guy that would come there and swim. I'm glad I do this now...

4. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah that would do it for me to!

5. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I keep a picture of my two sons in my truck. After about 12 hours of aerating, I don't want to do the extra house that the guy just walked up to me and asked about. I just take a look at the picture, and I am set to go. I'd do anything for my family.

I do get the same feelings about estimates though. Sort of like "I have enough work, I am happy for now" kind of attitude.

You have to be the boss of yourself sometimes, and force yourself into it.

You're not alone though :cool:

6. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Here is a thought for you. I wish i was this much into busniess but i am not quite here yet.

If you choose not to do the extra work or the extra bid and turn it down, then you are choosing to be less of a success in this business. (Assuming you want a huge company someday that is)

Hmmmmmm, doesnt quite work for me, b ut with tweaking i bet that could be a good saying to someone.

7. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

payup payup payup payup payup :cool:

8. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

I work hard to make money and be better then all the compition.

9. thegreenjeansman

thegreenjeansman LawnSite Member

All I ever have to do to keep motivated is to think back of all the crappy jobs and all the crappy bosses I've had. That's when everything comes back into focus.

THAT DOES IT FOR ME, NO GOSSIP , NO EMPLOYEE BACKSTABIN, FIGHTING TO GIVE 110% FOR SOME EMPLOYER THAT DOESN'T WANT TO HAND OUT A .25 CENT RAISE ONCE A YEAR, MY ANSWER TO WHAT YOU SHOULD DO? DON'T TAKE ON MORE THAN YOU CAN CHEW, BE HONEST WITH YOUR CUSTOMERS AND THEY WON'T BURY YOU WITH XTRA'S WHEN YOUR BUSY.

10. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

I work a full time job (I teach school) then go mow after hours and weekends, so this happens a lot to me.....So what motivates me..."MONEY"... yep I love both my jobs, but if it wasent for money id be water sking or fishing...so to stay motivated I keep the saving account balance in mind...I also take the money from some of those extra jobs you pick-up and do something fun...I like to play cards online, or take the family to dinner and a movie, or buy something I dont need, but want..In the long run it makes it worth it