How do you keep your wheel spinning

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by promower, Feb 19, 2004.

1. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anyone had problems with dirt and grass getting under your velke frame and the wheel causing the wheel to lock up and slide instead rolling. This would happen a lot mostly moring hours when the grass was still wet. Now that I have time in the winter I'm trying to come with an idea to prevent this. Such a pain when you have to go back to your truck, get the socket set, take off the wheel pull all the mud and grass and reassemble. Ideas would be appreciated, Frankenscag probably will come up with 10 ideas and blueprints before I have time eat dinner.

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Just jam a screwdriver up there to loosen in up, its faster than taking the wheel off.

3. promower

Tried that, get so clogged its impossible also cant get around curve of the tire.

4. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

I also just used the screwdriver, but man its hard to get it out when it gets clogged so bad that the wheel won't move. Some times I use a crowbar to get it loose. Like you said it mostly clogs up in the early morning when the dew is on the ground and I am on a slope. The best way I found is to step off every once in awhile to see if it is sliding with no weight on it. If I can catch it early it comes out alot easier, keep the screwdriver in my pocket in the morning. Other than that I don't know but I will check back later to see if anyone else has any good ideas.

5. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

Our velkes tend to jamb up more as the
    tread on the tire wears ....Not sure why but the velkes having tires w/ lots of tread tend to jamb less for us...

Andrew

6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Simple fix- get a sulky that does not have a fender (any other kind!) get a 2 wheel type or do what I do- just use one without wheels (Proslide) it never clogs up, oh and dog poop never gets worn into the tread, it just gets wiped off :D no tire marks in the grass or ruts in the lawn either. plus nice, deep colored stripes. Lets you walk just by stepping off, don't have to stop and tie it up like yours.

jul22#94.jpg

7. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

If you carry an air tank or compressor, just deflate the tire, grab hold of it , and rotate it to get the grass out. Reinflate, and you're ready to go. This worked well for me when I ran a velke for a buddy of mine, but I like the two-wheeled sulky, and the tires aren't covered, so it doesn't jam.

8. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I remember back in the early days of bmx kids would bend a piece of wire and attach it to the fork, it would scrape off the mud so you dont get the snowball effect.

9. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

You can always cut a strip off the top of the velky above the wheel. It looks pretty junky, but it never clogs up that way. There was a fella that posted a picture of that on the site quite a while back. No fooling around with tools to clean it out anymore. Like I said though ugly, but effective.

Jay

10. promower

I looked at the sulkies but dont really want to spend the money if I dont need to. Cutting a piece out would work, wonder if I could put a hinge on it to keep it looking nice right now I have plenty of time to mess around with stuff like that.