How do you kill stickers in St. Augustine

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by curry, Nov 6, 2003.

1. curry

curry LawnSite Member

My mom has stickers growing in her St. Augustine grass and said that she has heard of something to put down in the Fall that will kill them and not harm the St. Augustine. I dont use chemicals as I dont have a license so I dont know much about what she is talking about. Do any of you know and also where to find the stuff she needs. Ive looked at Lowes and Home Depot but cant find what she is talking about.

2. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing that is available over the counter, at least not that I am aware of.
    There are several restricted use (meaning you have to have a license to buy/apply) that work very well.
    Where in central exas are you?

3. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

Sand or grass burrs (if that is what you are talking about) are indicative of soil with extremely low fertility. SImply fertilizing the turf on a regular basis will eliminate them next year. Thistles (tall ones)can be controlled with any general broadleaf selective weed killer. 2,4-D is a regualted herbicide for those of us that purchase it at professional strengths. It is still available at a much high dilution rate OTC at many garden stores depending on what county you live in, in TX.

4. curry

curry LawnSite Member

SWD, I am located just outside of Waco. xpnd, thanks for the info about fertilization. Ive never heard that that can be a major cause of stickers.

5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Curry,

Here is a quote from this site.

"You can apply a pre emerge product if they haven't sprouted yet - most use Treflan."

6. curry

curry LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. Will Treflan kill St. Augustine grass?

7. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Another good pre-emergient, if your willing to go organic is whole ground corn meal. However, no pre-emergient will do anything for sticker burs, or grass that has already sprouted.

Randy