How do you know if the tea is any good?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by lrodptl, Mar 23, 2012.

1. lrodptl

lrodptl LawnSite Member

Tim,that's about as simple as I could hope for. Using my setup,it seems to still smell like the fish hydro after 48 hours.
  2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

It is unfortunate that Harvard presented tea brewing it so simply.

It sounds like you are doing a lot of good things and the biggest problem is due to heavy usage. Are you able to discontinue use long enough to allow KBG to develop mature roots & rhizomes? I prefer to use a mix of tall turf type Fescue, rye and KGB.
  3. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson LawnSite Senior Member

I have been having great success using only 2.38% [vermi]compost and 0.50% black strap molasses.

I would not use much more than 0.06% fish hydrolysate and do not use humic acid in ACT. Use it separately.

All of the following were made with the simple recipe above.
  4. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Excellent work Tim!
  5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Absolutely!!! It's not like a paint job... Oil or Acrylic... :)
  6. Lawn132012

Lawn132012 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Got to watch out for that tea. If bad compost it will actually harm the lawn. Had a long conversation with a guy from SumaGreen Turf on this one. I am very happy with the trials I am getting with their Turf product and the cost is very good per application (30 cents).

We had a good conversation about the compost tea and their product is microbes but they also won an award from Popular Science with their product last year for best green technology. I tried it out on new seeds comparing it to what I have used and the difference is easy to see what was better. Honestly at the cost I was happy if it performed the same as what I was using. Not only did it outperform it is used with no fertilizer which is a cost savings of its own but more importantly for us no law restrictions or licensing to use the product.
  7. Rick13

Rick13 LawnSite Senior Member

Did you ever figure out why your grass wasn't growing with compost tea?

Did you send a sample to get checked out? Curious if you found anything to improve your process.