1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do you know if your Bermuda lawn is dead(southern folks)

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by tbettis, Mar 9, 2008.

1. tbettis

tbettis LawnSite Member

my bermuda is starting to break dormancy here in mid alabama, but suffered from a severe drought last summer that thinned the mess out of it. the areas that were not affected are starting to green up but the thinned areas areas dont have anything spouting up except poa annua.that has invaded my lawn(totally forgot to apply preemmergent last fall because of a heptic work schedule so i guess ill have to live with the poa for a couple more months.. i hate to reseed because its near impossible to match a seeded common bermuda with the sod stuff. any how what can be done to tell if the bermuda will come back? (wait)
  2. sandman23

sandman23 LawnSite Member
    from GA

I agree about matching Bermuda. Depending on the size of area, I would use sand. Bermuda recovers very quickly and sand will promote growth (heat and density).
  3. jbirdturf

jbirdturf LawnSite Member

Aerifying and fertilizing with a high N will also help. Sand will definitely help as well with getting those bermuda runners going. Hopefully this year will bring a little more rain to us southern boys.
  4. tbettis

tbettis LawnSite Member

What type of sand
  5. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

:laugh:Bermuda dead, there is no such thing.
  6. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Water and fert it regular and it will fill in.
  7. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Hell, RoundUp wont even kill it!
  9. (wi) Roots

(wi) Roots LawnSite Member
    from 9

In thin areas, Plug it with your existing stand of bermuda. Use image for your blue grass. Check your Ph, and fert and water accordingly. You should retain your stand in one season. A six inch stand of bermuda will grow six feet in a year.
  10. tbettis

tbettis LawnSite Member

lawn has really filled back in guys. the sand,fert,water really helped..will post pics shortly