1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do you know if your making enough money.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WHIPPLE5.7, Apr 9, 2008.

1. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

This is my first year and so far I've been making $1,400-1,500 a week on power raking and spring cleanups. I could push myself harder but I don't want to work so today that I can't move the next morning. My fuel bill for truck and equipment is about $65-75 per week. When mowing season hits I'll bringing in about $1,000 per week. Is this doing Ok for a solo operater? I'm not a spring chicken so I try not to bite off more than I can chew.
  2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I would be happy to make that as a solo.... It's not big money but I could live off of it even after expenses. How may accounts do you have?
  3. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

I have about 15 smaller places and 5 bigger ones.
  4. McVey Landscaping

McVey Landscaping LawnSite Member

Looks good for a solo operator. This is about what I can bring in a week with out killing myself, and also holding a full time job. :usflag:
  5. Military Lawns

Military Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

If I had to say, you are actually doing better than most. Why not get a helper to increase your gross without actually working harder. I also try not to bite off more than I can chew!

6. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

as far as i'm concerned you can never make enough money, however if your insurance, gas, truck and all your other bills are getting paid and you are saving some money and are happy with what you are doing, well than why go any harder and drive yourself nuts.
  7. Alluring Lawns

Alluring Lawns LawnSite Member

This will be my third year as a solo op, and thats roughly what I gross. I'm not getting rich, but not in the poor house either. Just manage your overhead, keep your routes tight, and keep pluggin away.
  8. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

$1500 a week for spring cleaning is pretty low. It's only 3 weeks long might as well do as much as you can. I hire people from labour Ready to help out... $400-$800 a day. At least that's what happened the last couple years, I haven't started this year yet. We still got snow, North of Minnesota.
  9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Depends upon how many people you have to support, and if you are the only income. A wife, 2 kids and a family pet.... uuhhh no, $1000 a week aint gonna cut it, by the time you pay for everything that is required to live a decent life.
  10. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you have your lawns priced good. If you will be bringing $1000 in from 20 lawns, you are doing pretty good. 20 lawns for me is around $700, but they are all on the smaller side.