1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do you know when to retire a blade?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pecker, May 18, 2004.

1. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

When blades are new, the sharp tips are as wide as the rest of the blade. As they get used and resharpened, the sharps tips become more narrow than the rest of the blade, and narrower each time you sharpen them.

To refine my question: How narrow can they get before they are no longer safe to use? It seems to me that as long as they are balanced you should be able to use them completely up, but is this true?? Is there a point at which they become unsafe? When do you retire the blade?

2. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I use high lifts and will retire a blade when the wing thickness is just about to break thru.
  3. bayoulawn

bayoulawn LawnSite Member

Wing thickness?
  4. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i had some that were worn down at the foil and finally broke the foil off. bought some new ones and remembered how well new blades work.
  5. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

******, good question. I am looking fwd to the responses. A new company has the contract on the base where I work at. They have 3 brand new 04 Lazer Z's. I asked them today how often they change or sharpen the blades............They told me that they don't sharpen the blades, they just replace them EVERY TWO WEEKS. What a waste. Those blade have got to be dull after the second 8 hr day. These mowers run 6-8 hrs Mon-Fri. I hate to see those nice Lazer's wasted like this. They cut at least 100 acres every 2 weeks. I know the owner is making a bundle on this one! Just had to vent.
  6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

what size deck and are they willing to throw them away (maybe in my direction?)
  7. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

The portion of the blade that is angled up to create the lift. This area where the bend occurs wears down and will eventually break thru.
  8. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

Two fingers thick. then new ones.
  9. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

if its smaller than a 3 finger bag,,,,you might be a redneck!
  10. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

How long does it take for a wing to wear through and/or break? After 15 years I've never seen this happen.. not even wear. So, I must be getting rid of blades prematurely.

I have another blade question... If you were to get a chip in the edge of the blade... say 2 or 3 inches in from the end. Would you grind the entire edge of the blade down to get rid of that chip?