How do you know your numbers!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ashs inc, Feb 8, 2005.

1. ashs inc

ashs inc LawnSite Senior Member
    from alabama

Hey guys. I have read many posts on here about bidding. You all say know your numbers and look at the time it will take you to do the task! Well I know how long it takes me to do tasks I am not sure that I know my numbers. Please some on show me how I "Know my numbers". Thanks

2. Mycannon

Mycannon LawnSite Member

Your numbers is how much you expect to make
    Is it 50/hr
    100/hr
    35/hr
    160/hr

And then do the math If the job will take say 2HR and you want to make 100/hr
    2x100=200 so the job estimate is 200

3. ashs inc

from alabama

not what i was looking for i dont think mycannon. I want to know how much it cost me to have a guy running a edger to do a yard. How much it cost me to have another guy running my mower on that yard and how much it cost me to have a guy trimming and how much it cost to have some one blow the paved areas off and how much it even costs me to drive to the house. HOW DO YOU FIGURE THAT OUT!!

4. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

why would you need to know all that ?

5. ashs inc

from alabama

WHY WOULD YOU NEED TO KNOW ALL THAT???? Are you kidding me????? Ever wonder why wal-mart sells things at a certain price and go to another store and wonder why they sell the same item at a different price??? Because they know their numbers. They know what it takes them to keep the store open and to stock the shelves and how much they need to sell the item to keep the store making a profit. Same thing. I dont just go to a yard and go ok i will do it for $45. It might take you 40 mins to trim it and there goes your 45 bucks. You are paying to maintain their yard not the other way around. Does any body know there numbers are am i the only one that wants this info?

6. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I think your the only one that breaks it down that much. I've never heard of that before.

7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

A good software program such as QB will do all the math as far as cost related to your business .... even track the hours of employees .... with this you can get break down your hourly cost .... n thus begin to "know your numbers"

8. ashs inc

from alabama

Thanks Steve for a good post. I was thinking about QB. It just seems like a good investment how bout the learning curve? How easy is it to figure??

9. Mueller Landscape Inc

Mueller Landscape Inc LawnSite Senior Member

You need an industry specific software like Qxpress or Clip or??? Something that does job costing where it will keep track of each minute on each job.

10. Mueller Landscape Inc

Mueller Landscape Inc LawnSite Senior Member

This type of job costing is what allows you to plan for profit and success. It is part of "knowing your numbers".