"How Do you Like The Mulcing Kit On your ZTR"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Daner, May 22, 2006.

1. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Are any of you running a mulching kit ...or blades on your zero turn?
    How do you like it conpared to the side discharge?
    Do you find that it stripes better with it??

2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

no ZTR, but my mulching kit does wonders in grass that isn't way overgrown.

3. ocelot27

ocelot27 LawnSite Member
    from PA

I just mounted one and found that the grass this time of year is just too sticky and quickly loads the underside of the deck. My SCAG Tiger Cub stripes much better with standard high lift blades - I think the stripe kings here will agree. I'm beginning to think there is definitely a time and place for mulching - depends where you are and what time of year it is. I can't wait to try the whole system on leaves since it reduces even the tallest grass to golf course fairway size clippings. The SCAG system has some room for experimenting - I kept the V-shaped baffles and down-force wings in place but removed the small plates that isolate each blade chamber and the chute cover - this maintains a level of mulching with a level of discharge which has worked well for me so far.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I run a mulch kit on the Lesco ZTR almost all the time. The only time I take it off is for something extreme, or more often I just get a wild hair.

I love it. Been mulching now for years. But not all of the mowers out there have a design that can handle running one full time.

As far as the stripes are concerned.... YES, on many mowers the stripes do look better instantly after the cut. This is because a LOT of mowers throw pretty long clippings. While most times the clippings do not look bad or really show, they do lay on top a while and this dulls the contrast of the stripes. With the mulch kits, the clippings are chopped up fine and blown down into the turf, making the stripes sharper immediately after the cut.

5. joeg2246

joeg2246 LawnSite Member

I have the Toro recycler kit and love it. I checked under the deck yesterday and had no buildup after 11 yards. Yards were a mixture of Bahai and Floratam.

6. Envy Lawn Service

The 30hp 52" has got to be sweet!

Question for you... does the American version of the kit also have those wedges built into it?

7. hue-nut

hue-nut LawnSite Member

I've got one on my Hustler and am really likeing it. However I've found that with all the lush growth I am seeing a small line of discharge along the right side of my deck. Has anyone else encountered this type of thing? Other than that I really like it, I am hoping it will clear up later in the summer.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Are you doing the fully baffled much kit or just pluging the discharge.

The trail is common for plugging the discharge.
    It is not for a fully baffled kit.

9. hue-nut

hue-nut LawnSite Member

I am using the fully baffled kit.

10. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

I bet it also makes a diference on the looks of the lawn after mulching for some time...feeding the lawn every time you cut...and like Envy states the stripes are much more defined:clapping: