1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How Do You Like Vanguard Engines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by puppypaws, Jul 8, 2007.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

How long have Vanguard big block engines been on zero turn mowers. What size do you have, how is it running and holding up?

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

They are top i never have had one bigger than a 18 horse.
  3. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Mines still a baby. only 145 hours on it. runs good, no problems 31 hp
  4. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

i plan to get one next spring, probably the 32hp air cooled one on the Ferris 3100z, ive heard good stuff about them, id assume theyre a top notch engine such as the high end Kawasakis, Kohler command Pros and so forth.

why does everyone seem like theyre a "junk" engine? my parents 89 Simplicity garden tractor had a 16hp v-twin non vangaurd on it and it finally stared to have carb problems around 1100~ hrs, mainly from non use now.
  5. puppypaws

The 32 hp sitting out here on the Bad Boy Lightening cranks and runs like a sewing machine. The thing must have 32 Belgium draft horses inside because it is stronger than any gas engine I have ever seen on a mower. I wanted some feedback from people, it is no junk I'll promise you that.
  6. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

I have a 35hp big block on my new lazer, I have yet to get the mower to bog down. I have only 140 hours on mine, I will let you know as I get more hours on it....
  7. puppypaws

I don't think there is a lot of difference in the 35 and 32 according to specs. This 32 really likes gas, how is your 35?
  8. Audrey

Audrey LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

9. nickslawn

nickslawn LawnSite Member

I have a Vanguard with 350 hours on it and its going strong. btw its a 16.5hp motor.
  10. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a 31 hp with 300 + hours, runs great and no problems.