How do you like your Echo pb650?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Guardian, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I have not been an Echo fan (blower-wise) until I tried the PB650 at a dealer show.

I can't believe how powerful this thing is. A little heavy, not as comfortable as my BR400's -

Has anyone compared it to some of the parking lot blowers? I need a large blower for some sizable parking lots - I could have 2 Echo's for the price of a Little Wonder.

The thing I dont like about lot blowers is the lack of control in corners, near cars etc.

How do you use your pb650?
  2. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Bought a PB 650 in October 2001. Power is very good and I've been happy overall. Just make sure your dealer stocks parts for them-it took me 4 days for a recoil and a week for air filters. I don't know about buying 2 backpacks instead of 1 Little Wonder. The Echos are powerful, but there is no comparison to the Little Wonder with 9HP Honda. I understand the walk blowers are tough to maneuver in tight places, can you use one and one? We do mostly landscape work and only 2 small parking lots, so I don't have a lot of experience with them. I plan on sticking with the Echo, though. Good Luck, Mike
  3. hoagie

hoagie LawnSite Member

If you bros like the 650, you should look into the redmax eb7000... I love echo, but this thing is the most powerfull bp out there.
  4. I heard the 650 is uncomfortable to use.

I'll stick with my EB7000 that have A/C for you back too and sit on your back well.
  5. Hookset

Hookset LawnSite Member

I got one last fall for leaf clean up and parking lots. It works great for those two things, forget blowing grass off side walk, it burns to much fuel. I use a handheld for that.
  6. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

Been using the 650 since about Aug. 2001. Great blower and very comfortable. I looked at the shindawia and that seemed uncomfortable. The blower tube was too long for me.

Get the little wonder w/8.5 briggs and don't forget the swivel front wheel for parking lots.

7. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

We had alot of mid-season growth last season precipitating the need for 6 new BPB's which we chose the Echo 650. Bought the 1st ones in July.

We had been with RedMax (7000) and Shindiawa (630) and feel the Echo 650 is all that and more. We still have some Stihl BR400's and while those are reliable, they seem gutless compared to the new big dogs.

We'll continue to purchase the 650 for the short term at least.

One thing is for sure: competition will dictate improvement.
  8. Guardian

from Florida

I actually saw the side by side comparison between the 650, the redmax eb7000 and the stihl br420. There was NO comparison!

The ECHO 650 blew them all way. Since I have been a STIHL fan, I felt like they rigged the match -so I picked up the br420 and my father held his hands around the tube where it entered the "Blow gadget" they had made. This was because the br420's tube was smaller and seemed like some of the air was kicking back (thus making it look worse in this comparison). It didn't make any difference - matter of fact- the ECHO guy took a picture of us doing that.

While it was more uncomfortable than the Stihl, I believe I'd like one for certain jobs.

RON, I have seen the 8hp briggs/little wonder setup, but not the 8.5 . Do you think there is a difference?

AL, It seems to early for you to be putting on a new recoil. Is it from abuse from employees? How much are air filters?
  9. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Guardian-Your absolutely right about it being early to replace the recoil, and it was employee abuse. I'm not on every job, and my men are hard on equipment. I had some real problems in my personal life last fall, and I wasn't around much. There was one week where we lost like 3 or 4 rakes, and the recoil broke, and they pulled the rope out of another BP. I'm usually pretty quiet and calm, but I became an absolute raving lunatic. I think my men were surprised to say the least. Things have improved since then...Mike
  10. Guardian

from Florida

Mike- Seems like you should change you "signature" to "My job would be great if it wasn't for my %^$#&* employees"

I completely understand! I've had plenty of cords ripped out, had a BR400 left in front of a truck....and run over, etc...

I guess thats just part of this business....but thats why we charge those ^%&# customers so much!