How do you like your new Ferris 32 hydro?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, May 9, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I think a couple of you recently bought the new Ferris 32" hydro. I'm about ready to make the purchase but wanted to get your feedback b4 I do it. Particularly, how does it do on hills, slopes? Any other comments about it are appreciated...thanks

2. Nova

Nova LawnSite Member

I bought mine about a month ago and just started using it this week, aside from clean-ups.

I bought the Ferris "Eliminator" mulching blades and put them on top of the regular blades. The cut is fantastic, much better than the 36" everyone around here uses.

You can't mow horizontally on hills or slopes, it just won't work. I only have one property with a hill and that's my friends house, he doesn't pay, so I don't do that part of the lawn. But I'd have to get the 21" out, even that would be a little difficult.

Otherwise, it's a great machine and I'm glad I made the purchase. It's size, quality, power and price helped me decide over the 36".

I'm doing my "showcase" property today, so I'll be sure to get some pics by the end of the day.

3. LawnCrafters

LawnCrafters LawnSite Member

I love mine. Once you get a little practice eith the controlls you can turn it like it was a dual drive. It cuts awsome.
    Cutting across hills would be easier if they had put the caster locks on the production models. But I don't come across that situation enough for it to bother me.

4. GarPA

from PA

I thought it came with caster locks? are you guys walking or riding behind it?

5. Nova

Nova LawnSite Member

Well wouldn't you know it! I forgot the camera behind this morning! :dizzy:

But let me assure you, with doubles this thing cuts like mad! I was amazed at how little clippings were left on the lawn! This is with spring growth.. I took off maybe 3"-4" without even blowing the lawn afterwards.

The prototype had locking casters, it also had tiny front wheels too. I got a chance to see both models side by side and the production looks a lot better.

But no, no locking casters.

I don't even know if you can ride behind this machine, seeing as how you need to use your body to turn it. But I'd interested to know how it works, I'm just not going to be the first one to waste the money on a sulky.

6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

There is one for sale on e-bay. Low hours, w/ a 1 wheel velky.

7. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

I demoed one & ended up with the eXmark Viking 32"'s.

Much better mower IMO.

8. GarPA

from PA

Ultmate...what did the Viking cost you? Talked to a guy here locally last nite who bought the Ferris 32...he said its a great mower but worthless on slopes because of the single hydro...I just dont want to spend $4000 right now for a walk behind that will get limited use ...thanks

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I need to respond to a couple of things here. First off it was said that the Ferris "cut is fantastic, much better than the 36" everyone around here uses". I have had a Woods 36" that was built of the Ferris production line and is identical to the Ferris and I can tell you, my Exmark 36" cuts better and faster. Granted I have never tried the "Eliminator" mulching blades but how much better would the Exmark be if it had them too?

The second item is regarding turning a single drive mower. It is very simple and requires little effort. When you get to the turn slow the mower down and give a little push on the handlebar with the opposite hand from the way you want to turn. In other words if you want to turn to the right give a push on the left handlebar. You will see the mower go right around with very little effort.

The Ferris 36" SD is a fine mower and is an excellant choice for someone who wants a hydro but is a little short on funds.

10. GarPA

from PA

Thanks Richard for another point of view.,.I was just looking at the Exmark web site at the Viking 32"..dual hydro...but around $4000...man thats allot of money for a mower that I wont be using that much compared to my Z...on the other hand I'm sure I'll be glad I bought it a couple years from now...i guess I'll have to demo the Ferris 32 again on steeper slopes ...I thought it was supposed to come with locking casters which would have helped a bit on slopes...decisions decisions....I just think $4000 is too much money for a 32....I dont care what bells and whistles it has...thats a chunk of change in my humble opinion...if any of you have any advice on a small mower that will hug 30 degree slopes and fit thru gates, I;m all ears...I love my hp52 and didnt mind spending the bucks for it...but for this smaller mower I'm choking on the cost...thanks