How Do You Locate Valves??

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Short Cuts NTX, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Short Cuts NTX

Short Cuts NTX LawnSite Member

What methods do you use to find valves?

2. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

I will just pick a spot and dig, since it it is T&M. Then when the bill gets around a G, I will then offer the service of a locator for $150. And usually will find the valve in a matter of minutes.:laugh:

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Now thats funny right dere.

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

As-builts, tracer/locator, chatterer, witching, depressions, best guess, etc. :)

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Remember my big trencher?

Well, I got tired of poking around for burried valves, so I got me a "Irrigation System Uncoverer". It works great. I also get to sell a lot of repairs that I wouldn't get otherwise... Payup

[​IMG]

6. PurpHaze

Cheater!!! :)

Boss told me today to start looking at a new locator (like the expensive ones our electricians use although we won't get rid of the 521) and fancy metal detector. Seems that with all the building and relocatable projects going on they want more accurate accounting of existing utilities. Of course I'm happy to oblige since the bill won't be sent to me.

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Ever thought about getting one of those electronic marker systems, like the utility co's use?

I see the ads for them in the trade magazines.

8. PurpHaze

I've looked at them real closely. Now might be the right time to push this since there's always more money at the beginning of the fiscal year.

9. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

tempo 521 & 528 & 501