How do you maintain beds?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Edgewater, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

I find that I can mow and prune etc...with the best of my competition, but the are a few that just amaze me with how perfect thier beds are.

I can edge just fine, it's getting that pefect black soil. I always seem to have a few weeds that are still there.

How do you do your beds?

2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

You have to put the work in to get rid of the weeds. Apply Treflan or Preen from Home Depot.

Keep at the weeding. You may have to apply the preventer again or even a third time. Then maintain once a year.

But every week you pull weeds. Be sure to get all the root, or your just waisting your time.

Now after you have kept them nice and clean for a while. Sell them mulch.....
  3. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

all of the above and then
    cultivate, cultivate, and then cultivate some more
  4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

5. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Preen Kicks A**. After putting some in and around the plants they showed masive growth and very few weeds.
  6. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

It does the same thing. Acts as a fert and prevents germination.
  7. gramps

gramps LawnSite Member

:blob4: :sleeping: :angry: I find gasoline is a great weed killer
  8. craigs lawncare

craigs lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

How early in the spring do you guys apply the preen or Treflan to the beds? Before new growth of perennials? Is it ok around ornamental grasses?
    Does the bed have to be cleared or can I just spread it over last years mulch?

Sorry for all the questions, but I have worked my a@@ off this summer pulling weeds.

Craig :D
  9. capital

capital LawnSite Member

preen should be applied ater weeding in the spring and you have installed the mulch. Preen is ok near grass's but should not be applied to them as it will attempt to kill it off. If you apply preen then put mulch down weeds will grow in the mulch. Preen applied on top creates a weed barried to in hibit new growth.
  10. pyrocare

pyrocare LawnSite Member

I have found that Snapshot works alot better than Preen