1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How do you maintain your deck?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dcfas, May 4, 2014.

1. dcfas

dcfas LawnSite Member

Just got a Toro z. Was wondering how to maintain the deck, change blades, etc. Dealer told me to leave the deck on and raise it up with a rope or get a mo-jack. For a 650lb. Machine it is surprisingly easy to lift the front end. I will need to change from mulch kit to bagger blades and bagger in the fall. Mo-jack is $$$.

How do you work under your mower deck?

DC

2. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

Every year, a whole bunch of people get their head's crushed because they don't jack up their deck/mower properly. However you do it, use TWO (2) different different method's at the same time. For instance - a jack AND jack stand's or two chain's, no rope's ever. This might seem like overkill, trust me, it's not.

3. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Alabama

2x10 cut to length on side of trailer drive up it and blocks on back tires to prevent roll back. If you do this method check your 2x10 regularly for splitting change to new when needed.

People may think the idea itself is unsafe but done properly works just fine been doing this 9 years with my 951lb - 148z gravely.

When done remove blocks and let brake off and let it roll back do not attempt to drive it back the front tire will roll and pop off, letting the brake off it just glides back.

Better than spending $500 on a damn jack any day

4. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

Jungle Jack, just got one this season and I can use it on both my 36 wb and my 60 ztr.

Michael

5. dcfas

dcfas LawnSite Member

Yes-- good advice, thanks. My old man was a safety stickler and at least some of it has stuck with me.

6. dcfas

dcfas LawnSite Member

Cowboys- I'm going to look that up right now, thanks.

B&M- I thought about rigging something next to a ramp I have. I've seen car ramps, too.

7. JeremyKuhn

JeremyKuhn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a spot in my hard that slopes up and I just park the mower with the deck raised to transport and block the tires, with the angle the hill makes there is plenty of room for me to get under the deck without the mower ever leaving the ground.

8. nolimits76

nolimits76 LawnSite Member

Cheap & easy. Just remember to put a "stopping block" at the end so you don't roll your lawn mower off the ramp.

[​IMG]

9. nolimits76

nolimits76 LawnSite Member

10. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a Mojack pro but often just run the mower up one side of the trailer gate to change blades or power wash under the deck.