How do you make leaf box?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fastlane, Oct 1, 2002.

1. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

Way not just blow leaves into back of truck like you would with a wood chipper? How many sides must be closed in? What percentage vented? Could you close in a trailer with plank floors (1/4'' ) gaps? How big a hole to blow leaves in ?step 1,step 2 etc. We can make anything , but need a plan.

2. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering the same kind of questions for a pickup truck, but I know obviously you take some 4*8 plywood, some 2*4's, make a rectangular box, and ta-dah, it's a box.. But there are "features" of them that make it easier to load, unload, etc.. that I haven't figured out just yet. I was trying to think of a way to make a box to fit inside the back of my pickup, but then have a way to use an "Ez-Gate" unloader system as the flooring, so that to dump, you would lower the tailgate, take off the back of the box, and just crank and the whole box would be nearly self emptying....

But I haven't worked on it yet.

Gary

3. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Ring the bell?....

(heh heh heh)

4. AVRECON

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

Take two woden pallets and have one laying down and the other standing on edge. Nail a couple of 2x4's to each side. Set it in the front of the truck bed and attach a chain to it. Run the chain through the bottom pallet and the lower part of the standing pallet. When you get to the land field, have someone with a truck hook up to your chain and let them pull it off for you. Or you could take a long metal stake and hook the chain to that and drive forward to removethe leaves. I used to use this method to pull torn off shingles off a truck bed. You'll still have a few leaves in there to clean out. But thats better than having to pull them all out by hand.
    Whoop's, I just re-read your post. So I guess this wasn't the info you were looking for, but maybe this will help someone else.

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I make them using steel angle for a frame and pt plywood to fill in. Large top hinged gate in back and half the top is mesh to allow air to vent. This makes a sturdy box that can be used for years and easily taken in/out of the truck.