1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do you make money using a 21"?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Apr 5, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Ok what I mean is, say you have a lawn that is 7,000 s.f. and the front can be cut with 52" mower but the back has a gate that may not allow a 32" in much less a 36". So you use a 21" on it if thats the only size you have other than 52" right? I know what I can make per hour using the 52" but I can't get no where near that using a 21" my prices would be double what anyone else would charge.

I can make for instance $50 an hour with the 52". I want to make just as much with the 21" because 1) i have to walk 2) "why settle for less than your best"? I mean if you can make more then why not? I know the 52" has more overhead, but not THAT much.

I did a bunch of fliers yesterday in a nice neighborhood with small gates. I don't know for sure but they looked like a 36" wouldn't fit through maybe not even a 32". If I got a few of these I'd make due with a 21" for this year but next year I'd get or make a 26 or 28", one built like a 32" commercial mower that can pull a sulky.

My question is has anyone found a way around this? Or do you use a 26", 28", 32" etc whatever fits? I know even a 26" would not cut down your time enough from 21" though.
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

this is how I would figure it out...if a 52" is $50 an hour I would charge the 21" at $123 an hour. 52 divided by 21 is 2.47 times the $50 an hour again gets you the answer.

But i guess the question is, what is the average size of the back lawns?
  3. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Just read an article about a company in California...maintenance company set to do over $4 million in sales this year.... 88 employees.....

I think they have one (just 1) 48" mower and a few 36" mowers and all the rest are 21" mowers.....
  4. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

What publication did you read that article in?
  5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Gee.........I wonder if that's the guy that was gonna hire all the college kids and give them 21' mowers and mow 24-7?

His plan may have worked!
  6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Well, the backyards are big enough that the 52" would be perfect on lets put it that way.... what's with these evil little gates anyway? :dizzy:
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I know those evil gates...I actually once had to tip my 21" on its side and then walk down about 15 steps to get into a back yard. I only did the lawn twice and then I handed it over to another LCO. It just took to much time to do and it was too much of a hassle.
  8. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Replacement cost is much less. Also there is alot less operator skill involved in using one.....I am sure that has alot to do with it.
  9. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I have 3 push mow yards,all for same person.mow,trim,blow.1 takes 12mins.the other 2 about 20mins each.Don't even take trailer,just truck.12min-25.00 the other 2 -30.00.I love the 21" yards,but I pick and choose now,I ain't mowing just anything.:)
  10. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think people will pay $100 an hour for lawn service, but that's just my opinion. If they will, I sure don't charge enough!

You might consider using 2 21" mowers at the same time. I haven't tried this yet, but I don't see why it couldn't be done if the mowers were self-propelled. There is supposed to be a video clip of a guy doing that on this site, but I couldn't find it.