1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do you mow with tho 21" Toro Proline?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bill8379, May 7, 2008.

1. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

We used it for the first time today and my guy would get to the end of the line, lift up the front tires and pull back on the handle. The wheels would still be spinning, he' then turn around to come back. I thought it looked very awkward even damaging to the gears.

I'm used to personal pace which is great except they don't last. But what are you supposed to do with these gear drives, switch them into neutral when you turn around?

It's a Toro 21" heavy duty proline.
  2. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using them for years. It is my main mower for all my smaller properties. I keep it in third gear all the time and just squeeze and release the handle to control the speed and or stop You will get the hang of it very quick.
  3. evergreenedmond

evergreenedmond LawnSite Senior Member

we have 20 of these mowers & if you let off the drive/throttle handle when you turn the wheels will stop turning without killing the engine. those mowers have a black adjuster by the gear shift that you can turn to tighten or loosen the drive belt maybe try playing with that a little to find a place that is comfortable for you
  4. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Does it have a blade clutch on it? Either way they are desinged to engage the gear within the last inch or two. So just have him let off the bar a little and he's basically "in neutral". Happy mowing.
  5. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah it's got the BBC (took me ten minutes to figure out how to engage the blades on the day I bought it LOL) I'm going to try that suggestion tommorrow about letting off the bar a little. Thanks.

Man these heavy duty toros and ten times better looking and heavier then even the super recycler. Bag is a little difficult to empty if it's packed though, you basically have to pull the thatch out.
  6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

first thing i do is disable the kill switch -you can ground the lead to kill the engine or install a switch if you want
  7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Good heavens. I'd pay to see a video of this guy in action!

The proline 21" blows the personal pace away in ease of use and manuverability. Simply reduce pressure on the drive bar and the wheels will go to neutral w/o shutting the blades off. If this isn't happening it's likely adjusted wrong.
  8. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Teach "your guy" that the bar that his fingers are on controls the throttle, and to ease up when making a turn, as in don't squeeze as hard and you won't go as fast.

Honestly, this is elementary lawn mowing here. Maybe get a new guy??

Also, if he's "your guy", did you not at least try if first or have some working knowledge of it to at least instruct him?

I"m not bashing you, but....come on!!!! It's a friggin' 21 proline that my wife could easily operate.

Sorry guys, but I can't believe the posts I read on here lately. Yes I just had to post.