How do you new guys do it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnagent, Dec 14, 2003.

1. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

Ok I have to ask after seeing so much of this, I have saw post after post after post on this site over the last couple of years of someone saying they were in there 1st year in this biz and have 40 accounts or more. Some alot more. How in the crap do you come up with that many accounts in less than 1 year? Man I need to learn from you guys as I have not learned anything in my 10 years!:confused:
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Read the profile on some of those same guys, 18 yrs old been in biz. 9 yrs;) 15 yr old been in biz. 3 yrs :dizzy: I think alot of them consider mowing the 2 neighbors lawn 20 time each equals 40 accounts:D Don't believe everything you read:nono:

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I think olderthandirt is on to something.
  4. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I came up with 35 my first year, I thought that was high I have to admit, beginners luck I guess.
  5. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I hope to achieve that much in my 1st year :)

Yet alone get 10cuts on a regular basis weekly.
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Heck, I think my first year (as a business) I only had like 22 accounts. Now if you want to go back to the begining, when I mowed not as a business I had 3 accounts. Next door neighbor, part time boss, and my mothers office.
  7. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Easy, charge everyone $20 a cut or some low-ball amount like that and you will get lots of customers. Lots of accounts doesn"t equal making much money to survive if this is your full time job.
  8. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I wondered the same thing many of times. When I restarted my company this year after a 5 year hiatus I had to really work my butt off to get 24 weekly accounts. I'm sure next year will be a lot better, but those of you that say that you landed 40+ weekly accounts your first year really makes me wonder. You either fell into a great situation, or you're full of s#it.
  9. Firefighter698

Firefighter698 LawnSite Member

This is my first year, I started with 5 properties, ended the year with 41. We had a terrible ice storm in Feb. with a lot of clean-up work to be done. I would leave a "Clean-Up" price on the back of a business card and leave it in the door. I got calls from those, one of the calls was a lady that was a "leader" of a "social circle". I got her yard cleaned up and ended up getting her yard because the "other guy" was not reliable. (My price was even higher) and I broke into the "Little Ol Lady Network".I can trace back 19 of the properties that I have back to her. Word of mouth is the best advertising and I found a good one. All of my accounts are weekly and my minimum price is $25.00.
  10. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

I have mowed since i was 9. Juts get out do a good job and word travals fast. offer discounts 20% off if your buddy singes a well and they will see stop and call.