How do you not Stripe?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rayray, May 12, 2006.

1. Rayray

Rayray LawnSite Member

All this talk about striping taking longer than not striping ,, and charging more for striping...has me thinking...I have no idea how to not stripe. Am I the only one who feels like this?

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Try a T-bar controller and you'll see real quick how the Toro doesn't stripe if you don't actually concentrate on doing it.
    It's great, just a nice even cut, and no divots from the Z-turns.

3. Buckeye1

Buckeye1 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Rayray-I have asked that same question a few times. Unless you are cutting down to about 1 1/2 inches I don't see how you don't leave some sort of stripe or streaks in cool season grass. At the very least you leave tire tracks. Are all these people who "don't" stripe cutting warm season grass or are they cutting the grass extremely short?

Topsites-what the hell are you talking about? You can turn the striping effect on and off by concentrating more or less?

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

the grass must know what you are thinking and what you want it to do!!

5. paul3251

paul3251 LawnSite Member

striping is the fastest and nicest period

6. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree...:dancing:

7. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Striping is done by making one pass, then taking the second pass in the oposite direction. In doing so, the blades actually lean in opposite directions leaving a striped effect. I personally will only stripe lawns - I'm a commercial company & that's how people know it.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes because 3/4's of all directions work against the sun so to speak, and only a small percent of directions that work with the sun turn into stripes. With the T-bar, you don't want back-and-forth, it's a royal pita because the T-bar is like a steering wheel - The sharper the turn, the more effort it takes... Lazy turns are the easiest, so if you're not paying attention, chances are you'll turn out a nice, even looking lawn without even thinking about it.

For over three years I never striped, always thought the once-in-a-moon checkerboarded lawn I'd see (if one in a hundred shows up around here like that), I used to think that was the sign of a sick mind... Until I ran into this lawnsite and everybody oooooh and ahhhhh about this striping stuff... Ok, whatever.

Maybe not always, but at least half the time there are no stripes from a Toro...
    If you can see it from the wooded side maybe, but not from the street or the house.
    That's with a Wb, wouldn't know much about the Z.

p.s.: I do stripe nowadays, but never when pressed for time, that crap can kiss it, it always takes me longer.