How do you organize your rig's supplies and tools?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pecker, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wondering if there is a way to organize my "junkbox" .

I have plans of adding an enclosed utility box on the front of my trailer in the Winter (which will take the place of my current setup, a plastic Tuff Box / toolbox bolted to the floor on my trailer). Some of the things I keep on my trailer are: trimmer string, spare filled trimmer spools, pruners, hand hedge sheers, screwdrivers, toolkits, edger blades, d/c tire compressor with plugs, trash picker-uppers, spare spark plugs (without the wrench to remove and install them, of course). Just all kinds of juck that I can't do without.

The problem: Its all in a pile in the toolbox and I have to dig to find anything. It looks and is very unprofessional. For instance the other day, I ran out of edger blades (had one last one that saved the day!) because I thought I had some buried under other stuff.

My question is: What do you guys use to solve this problem. Any websites I should check out?

Thanks.

2. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

you dont really need to spend money to organize your tools.

all it takes is about 1 uninterupted hour and your set.

the lco i worked for, we used to be a mess, all the crap was just thrown in the bed of the pick up line, spools, tools, trimmers, oil, trash....you name it...all just in one big pile.

i finally suggested we get smart and get organized. we did. installed a silver box in the bed of the p/u and organized it.

in your case since its an enclosed trailer.....maybe build yourself some racks or shelves (depending on how much room you have to play with) or make different boxes for different tools or items...

play aroudn with what works, put similar things together.

good luck

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

we have a tool box mounted on the front of the trailer for our extras, works great.

4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I've got a big green rubbermaid storage box bungee corded to the toungue of the trailer. I keep string, oil, blades, etc, whatever I need, in it. Works out fine for me. BUT, a few years ago when me and my old partner moved to the storage area I now work out of, we learned a hard lesson that we had to take it off the trailer every night and put it away with the rest of the stuff. In the first month we were there someone stole the box off the trailer, as well as our pins for the gate. So now, everything comes off the trailer at night and the trailer gets double locked. Sad.

:D

5. I am Me

I am Me LawnSite Member
    from D/FW

Check into the large size tackle boxes. They come either with fold out tray's, or in componant boxes. The componenets get stuffed insde of a duffle and their are slots for line, pliers, etc. Both of these can fit into either a storage box or a tool box. Won't really work for super large rolls of line, but will keep yoru small stuff organized.

Also, check into ammo boxes. Most are water proof and hold a lot.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have a large poly toolbox (36"x18") accessible from the front of the (open) trailer with removable shelves in it. I also have a milk crate that I keep oil, fluids, trimmer spool, long handled pruners, edger blades, and stuff like that. All the mower blades are kept in something I call my "blade caddy". Basically, it's a piece of 5" PVC with an endpiece screwed in the bottom, and a removable cap with a handle on the end and a leather strap screwed to the side for a handle. This works great. Blowers, hedgesaw, and chainsaw are kept in the spicerack (shelf unit). Trimmers, stickedger, and extended hedge trimmer are kept in trimmer racks on each side of the trailer.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Here's a pic of the rack.

im000561.jpg

8. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey, Nice Rack!! (oops. . . can I say on that on here??; it was meant in a good way.)

I am thinking about adding one similar to that this Winter - but I am going to find a way to make the rack enclosed (maybe by adding diamond metal plating or something like what truck toolboxes are made of).

And thank you guys for all the input.

9. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

We have a large locking box mounted to the front of our open trailer as well. I have a milk crate and 5 gallon buckets in the box to seperate and organize. The box has all the oil, blades, tarps, hand saws, etc. in it. Trimmer line is hung on our trimmer rack along with some cutters. We also carry a small tool box with actual tools in it.

10. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

My system is a bit different since we don't mow, but mainly pruning and intallation.

My main tool vehicle is the pickup on the front page of www.mdvaden.com (actually, just replaced it with a 2003 shortbed Ram, but same setup)

The long box behind the bed stores chainsaw, pole chainsaw and hedgeshears (gas) - the long stuff. Plus an axe, safety vests bungeed to the lid and long handle pruners.

Behind it are 2 Tuff boxes. One has all the pruning stuff - 2 hand shears, 2 hand pruners on belts, 2 loppers, ropes, and a small toolbox inside with wrenches, plugs, and little stuff.

The second Tuff box holds hand held blower, gas, and a container to hold in place bar oil, and 8 oz. 2 cycle bottles for going to the gas station. I refill the four 8 oz. bottles from a quart.

The cab is for the phone, digital camera, binoculars, calculator and all that stuff.

The system only works if everything goes back exactly.

Getting ready to employ someone next spring, I just had a sign made, with about 30 names of tools - white letter on black.

Cut them out on the table saw, and mounted next to hooks for shovels, rakes, roller, etc., so the employee will know exactly where all the tools go.

Our stuff in the vehicle and at the home office is so organized, its impressed customers that were military officers previously.

One thing I learned about 20 years ago - not putting things back in an exact location - its "home" - wastes time. Not putting things away is what makes life more difficult and burdensome.