How do you pack down big bump?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by MowerMoney, Apr 11, 2005.

1. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure if this is the right forum but...

One of my customers had a water line leak from the road to his house. Had it dug up and replaced. Now there is a pile about 18" high x 6' wide and 40' long.
    It has big lumps of hard clay. He asked me if I could do something with this. I have not a clue.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get it packed back down sooner instead of waiting for nature. It's amazing how much the dirt puffs up when dug up. The man asked to rot-till it and he would have a truck load of water dumped on it. I don't think that will help much. Will it? I suggested maybe someone with a hiway grade roller would pack it down.

Any suggestions?
  2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Level it off and leave it alone. I personally wouldn't put anything heavy on it, may damage the sewer line. After it settles, put some topsoil on it and re-seed.
  3. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Some of the lost compaction may never go away, I agree with just leveling it off, if you've given it a chance to at least settle some. To help it settle, if you haven't had any rain and if it doesn't have irrigation (or even if it does, but the zones overlap large areas that haven't been disturbed) I would put a low volume sprinkler on it with a cheap timer and let it run daily or every other day for a week or two. Then level it off and prep the ground with good top soil or till in some compost and seed or sod. A 6'x40' strip might best be watered with two rows of soaker hose or drip tubing, and one of those cheap $30 timers from home depot will turn it on and off adequately.
  4. sheshovel2

sheshovel2 LawnSite Member
    from 7

I would make sure the new line is not going to leak again before I did anything.then remove the biggest chunks of clay and throw them somewhere,then take a rake and rake out the rest of the big chunks, rake it out semi level ..then walk on it or roll it with a light roller,then water it in.refill sunken spots and water again.Don't put alot of water on it or your gonna have a huge mess on your hands.
  5. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

Use a 6 foot back blade then water it and fill in low spots . Seed and poof new yard
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

We have heavy clay and it is not an easy task to fix your problem. It will take a year or two for the ground to settle and even after that it will probably still sink some.
    The best thing to do is to constantly soak the area with water to try and force as much air out as possible. Clay is a nasty bugger to work with and I would be honest with the customer and tell them that it will take lots of time for this to be right. I wouldn't level it off until it has been soaked for a few weeks. There is a group of homeowners in a subdivision here that jsut had wells dug and new water lines laid into the houses in heavy clay. A landscaper is charging a minimum of 1200 to re do the area that has been disturbed. I am not sure of his guarantee or if he is offering one but the work is not fun.
  7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Oh I'm sorry I didn't notice how big your "bump"was tell I re-read the
    thread.So my reply was not suitable to the problem. ;) Around here,you woulden't get away with fixing a water line and leave the bury like that.Not that it does you any good now,but if you don't want to do it,suggest the homeowner call whoever left it like that to come back and level and soak it,the people who did it are responsible and should leave it looking fairly level anyway.At least the well companys and water companys do.18"high,6'wide and 40'long?They should have scraped it off.Also I did not see where you mentioned any lawn involved in the situation,was there a lawn or not?