How do you park your equipment?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Junior M, Jan 12, 2014.

1. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

Park machines to protect them as best as you can from theft and damage that's about it. I have learned many times of some one wants to steal something bad enough they will . I have lo jacks on all my machines and I install power keys on everything as well. If it is available I get the machines with keyless coded ignitions as well.

All the excavators get parked at night in the proper position to check all fluids and grease all points while the machine is warming up . I would never leave a machines boom or stick up in the air unless it is supported. Even the backhoes must have the buckets and stabilizers flat on the ground at night. It's a rule we have , and all the guys follow it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Cornell

Cornell LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Depends where I am.

Sadly when $1000 dollars of boulder fabric was stolen I saw a competitor drive by about 10 times that day and that night it was stolen and I had all the couplers hit with a hammer on my packer and Towtem. After that never saw them driving by again. Could be an odd coincidence but who knows.

Stuff happens.

3. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

I should be thankful every competitor I have is a friend. We help each other out, refer work to each other, borrow equipment etc.

Everyone from the one man operations to the multimillion companies get along. There's a few stray people everyone keeps their eye one

We borrow trailer trucks excavators bobcats etc.

How do you secure your trailer at a job site? We can't out the bucket over the pintle with how the bobcat doors are
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Back the trailer up to something and pull the machine all the way up to the front of it. Or loop a chain through the pintle and or wheels and lock it

5. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Low jack and leave it by the curb

6. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

That's what I do now. Didn't know if there's a better way.

Regarding putting it by the curb with LoJack. That's fine if you want a new machine but lose a week of work
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Pretty much the best post here. Roll loader buckets over loose buckets. Prep for service. Outriggers and stabilizers down, wheels on ground to prevent wheel theft.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

How anal are you guys on keeping machines out of the weather? We'll basically rain I guess because I'm usually working if it's snowing or if sun is out :laugh:.. I try to keep my machines under my rhino shelters but it always seems like one is out In the rain :hammerhead:

9. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

As much as mine gets left on jobs in the rain, I never really worry about parking it inside when I bring it home unless it's for an extended period of time.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Mines never been inside and i never have the door on unless its snowing. A couple days ago i was considering going to a boat or upholstery place to get a snap on cover made just for leaving it in the rain or overnight etc to keep cats out. Unsnap it in the am and go to work
    Posted via Mobile Device