How do you pay a salesman?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jay warner, Mar 10, 2004.

1. jay warner

jay warner LawnSite Member
    from sc

I was approached by a guy who use to run a local squirt and fert business, he went through a divorce and sold everything except for his van. Now he wants to work for someone else? Aside from all the negatives. How do you pay him? He will be first foremost a salesman, then he will also have to service what he sells until we have enough accounts to warrant a helper. The labor part of his pay I can figure, the sales part I don't have a clue. I will provide all equipment and $ for start up.
  2. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

When I used to work for Terminix years ago they did it kinda like this.
    So much % if you sold an account
    so much % if you worked an account
    so much % if you collected an account
    and so much if you went back to someone elses account

They did it in "units" you had to moke so many "units" per month to get a "bonus"

I was paid $800.00 per minth 1/2 on the first and 1/2 on the 15th if I had made a bonus it was on the 15th check.

Each unit was worth .50 to me so I had to get 1600 units per month. If i was doing somthing that was hourly I counted that many units per hour.

I didn't get paid for a sales call just a sales itself.

If I remember right it was like 20% for working an account 5% for everything I collected and like 15% for selling an account. If I had a helper they were paid hourly but deducted out of my units.

BUT that has been 17 years ago so the memory is somewhat fuzzy. LOL