How do you picture your lesser competition?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by tcls83, Jan 20, 2006.

1. tcls83

tcls83 LawnSite Member

Also maybe some of those guys I see around town mowing in circles who use a beater truck with a homemade trailer could be just friends or family just helping someone out with whatever they've got, volunteering a free cut, nothing wrong with that.

True, equal or better business should be the center of my attention.

2. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

My good-ness What a stupid made up thread -If you have to boose your ego, or try to convince yourself you are a "professional" by making up these horrific threads, with visions of your competitions inadequacy dancing in your head, maybe this kind of made up venting will help you sleep tonight.

Christ almighty - Pay attention to your business, and quit worrying about everyone else. Go out and do a good job - charge fair, and you will be ok. Seems to me the person starting this thread has a lot of down time, and not much work.

3. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Ha ha ha ha LOL!!! Thats kinda how I feel when anybody starts threads like this. Jeez!! I mean I took some downtime this winter to recharge the batteries so to speak, but I've been busy as a one legged man in a but kickin contest lately just working on the office work side of business and preparing for '06 season.

Good post Flex :waving:

4. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I will not look down on anyone who is out there trying to make a living. The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. I am thankful for my business.

5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Competition Period!

I was there at one time. learned the ropes.
    Now the only reason that the larger companies don't cringe is that I have my niche and they know I wont hitt there money pots. They feed me and I leave them there money pots.
    Also
    First of all if they own a walk behind you can darn bet they have a gas powered hedge trimmer and whacker.
    and if they own a walk behind they are on the right track and will still be around if they have some business knowledge.
    JMO.

6. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Never look down on others trying to make ends meet because you will be humbled sooner or later. Your not "all that", just another lawn guy making some money.

7. tcls83

tcls83 LawnSite Member

Lighten Up !!!

8. tcls83

tcls83 LawnSite Member

Anyways, you guys doing "paper work" while pounding away at the keyboard in an internet forum means you should better get going on that huge stack of paper work to pick up those precious 3 $25 lawns.

Ego Stroke... heh heh!!! Come on Lighten Up!!! Have Fun out there!!!

9. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I don't waste my time thinking about smaller, less professional businesses.
    Why should I?
    The individual running an operation like this is probably trying to survive - and I for one am not going to bash 'em.
    Regarding an impact on our industry, my business is so far removed from that less professional image, it just does not pertain to who, what and how I present myself and my company.
    The only time I focus on a group like this is when I observe unlicensed irrigation work or chemical applications being made - the state gets a call about that.

10. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Its like making fun of fat people that are out trying to exercise: At least they are trying.

If I see some scrub operation in one of the neighborhoods that I work, I could care less. Maybe by him seeing me there with a nice truck, trailer and equipment it will inspire him.

WHo cares, those guys have always been there and always will...................

If they are your competition, you've got bigger problems! Cause they are not even THE competition.