How do you politely tell a customer I won't come out?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, May 5, 2005.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Got a lady who ordered a shrub trimming and clean up. She is bitching. She wants me to come out and take a look around. Last time I did this with another customer, I found the place to be immaculate. I was pizzed at the customer for wasting my time with ridiculous complaints and I dropped him. Then he got his feeling hurt and filed a complaint with the BBB and has also threatened to dispute the charges with Mastercard.

I created a thread on that issue. For those who saw the thread, he had nothing to complain about. The place looked outstanding.

Well, anyway, as can be predicted with shrub trimming, another customer is complaining and she expects me to come out. She's got a b!tch list a mile long.

We haven't made a good first impression with this lady. Whenever that happens, it doesn't matter what you do, the customer will eventually fire you. I know driving out to look at this lady's shrubs is a complete waste of my time and serves no other purpose than to kiss her azz. But if I drop her now, I will risk a dispute with Mastercard. If I wait until the next complaint, which I KNOW is on the way, and then drop her, she won't think to dispute the shrub work, which was a few hundred dollars...justmowit has taught me how to drop a customer without the risk of a dispute by not charging them for the final cut.

So, as you can see, I don't want to waste time driving out to a customer's house that I know we won't be servicing long term, yet, I don't want her to get any angrier and dispute the charges with Mastercard.

Any advice on this one?

Thanks,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

You have more problems than anyone else I have seen.

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I told ya'll (see below from the Gates & Dogs Post)!! LMAO

The DFW Game Plan has changed from last year, but the Player (DFW) is still the same. Problem after problem after problem. Now I say that also just like he did last year, before the Season is up he'll "be getting out of this business" again.

4. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Just tell them your too busy to take on any more work. OR tell them you dont offer any other services besides mowing.

5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

he has way less than bobby..................

if he is in business a long time he will accumulate more though..

problem is that he is offering a " discount" service. this will attract some undesirable customers.... it's a numbers game.. the more clients you service the better the chances that you'll have problem clients.....

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

If you ignore this issue, will the problem go away? No. So bite the bullet, and deal with this lady the next time you are in her area. She's in your service area right? Well then there has got to be a time of week when you will be close to her, so then that's when to set up the meeting.
    If you or your crew didn't make a good first impression with her as you stated, then you need to figure out why you didn't.

7. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

What is more valuable to you, your time or the amount of money in question?

8. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Go look at it, see if there is really a problem. Are you sure that it was done the way she wanted? I would imagine that people are going to complain more often once you have their credit card number. They will want to make sure that it is done perfect.

9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Yup, He thinks customers should kiss his asss because he cuts their lawn or trims their shrubs.
    He is absolutely clueless as to what it takes to deal with the public.

Soon...........One less competitor in the DFW area.

10. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I just got back. The place looked fine. Her complaints were completely unwarranted.

Her husband was home but she wasn't. He as much as told me she was a b!tch, although he didn't come right out and say it. He said he was very pleased with the work. He said he told my crew leader what he wanted done, the crew leader understood and he went back inside. He said he was happy with the work. I get the feeling she was out there trying to micromanage every minute of their time while they were there.

I can tell you for certain, the customer is out of line with this complaint. It just burns me up that the customers I drive out and meet (or at least see their properties) are always the ones with invalid complaints. If I had to jump through these hoops with every job we did, I'd have to go out of business. It's the good customers who never skip cuts and never complain that make my business profitable. These customers pay more because they don't complain to get discounts and they don't skip cuts. Most importantly, they don't cause headaches by complaining about ticky tack stuff. It ought to be the headache customers that pay more, but that's just not the way it works.

I'm to the point now that when they call with shrub trimming complaints, I automatically jump to the conlusion that the customer is out of line.

One more complaint from this one and she's gone.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper