How Do You Present Yourself?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PGA, Apr 19, 2006.

1. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

I hope this doesn't offend anyone but how do you present yourself to the public and to your customers?

Is your equipment and trucks kept clean or are they covered in grass and dirt?

Do you wear shirts with company logos and nice shorts or pants or do you go to work with holes in your clothes and the same dirty ones on from the day before?

When speaking with a potential customer do you use proper English or do you sound like you barely made it out of grade school?

The reason I ask is because as I read through more and more of the threads on this board about people complaining because customers look down on them as just the lawn boy I wonder why they do it? I understand that everyone and their brother can load up a mower and go cut grass but it takes a somewhat intelligent person to run a successful company. But the more I read the more I think that little things like proper grammar are overlooked.

If we as LCO's have a bad rap and looked upon with a negative view its because we have done it to ourselves. I'm appalled by the lack of basic English thats displayed here. If you want to be looked on as a successful businessperson then you need to present yourself as one.

Talk to customers like you know your own language.
    Keep the trucks immaculate.
    Keep yourself clean.
    Stand up straight.
    Join the human race and the business world.
    Be pleasant to each other and your customers.

Without them you are NOTHING.
  2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i'm a hands on small operation. i dress in jeans, and a collared shirt with my name on it. i am dirty most of the time. but, my breath smells good, and i can hold a conversation just fine with anyone. my trucks are filthy, my mowers backfire when u start them, my main weedwacker has duct tape on the handle, and the primary color of my trailer is rust. some of my competitors wear uniforms, have shiny trucks, and clean equipment. they get d!cked around more than i do, and they are less knowledgable.
  3. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

well, I am 50, have a degree in Biology, and Accounting, and am a composer, and most of my people appreciate my knowledge, abilities, etc. I think being very articulate, and able to answer questions quickly with confidence is a big bonus in any kind of business (and you dont have to be educated beyond your intelligence like me)! Show confidence in what you do, even if you are 17 and still learning (we are always learning anyway).
  4. jmurphy

jmurphy LawnSite Senior Member

I wear clean Dickies work pants and a T-Shirt with the company logo and name on it. I am always friendly and take pride in my work.
  5. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know about you guys but I used to get a kick out of seeing guys driving around in beatup trucks with 15 year old mowers covered in dirt. Now I just shake my head and wonder why they are even bothering trying to run a company.

Some of them approach me when Im at the gas station or at my dealer and for the life of me I cant understand a word they are saying.

Are people like this truly bringing the industry down?
  6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

no, the people who are bringing the industry down, are those who don't understand thier costs, can't tell the difference between $60 an hr and $90, and those who are "overdressed" for the occasion. joghny cochrain (rip) said it very well, in his closing argument at the o.j trial- " the prosecution suggestes, that mr simpson wore this hat, as a disguise. this, isn't a disguise, it's a hat. people aren't stupid. here, let me all know me, i'm joghny cochrain. now, let me put on the "disguise" that the prosecutors claim mr simpson wore (putting on the hat). now, do u still know me? of course you do, i'm joghny cochrain, wearing a hat." let me explain this, so you'll understand......... you can put a moron, in a tuxedo, and he will still be a moron. you can put a weathered businessman, in rags, and he'll still be, a weathered businessman. people aren't stupid
  7. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a dusty truck and equipment .my guys and i are most likely a tad dusty as well . especialy my trimmer guy what with grass all over his legs and all . if a customer asks me a question i fire right back at them with an answer even if the answer is " i dont know but i will research it and find out " . my answers are clear and concise . we wear company shirts and jeans or shorts .
  8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Well, denim shorts and a grey T-shirt for me. I dont think the customer could care less if you take a shower and wash your boots after every lawn; as long as it is cut then you are in the clear with them. Why spend all that money on new shirts with logos and new pants, etc just to make an impression?

As for trucks and equipment, truck is washed every week, mower is never washed but looks ok and the trimmer/edger is washed every few months.

I agree that proper grammar and speech is a necessity if you wish to own and operate any business nevertheless one where you are in constant contact with the customers.
  9. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

PGA - Don't you drive a beat up black F150?
  10. Badgerz

Badgerz LawnSite Member

Very true but it doesn't hurt to make a good impression.