how do you prevent this?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DeereHauler, Mar 2, 2008.

1. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

i have a customer who is a little skeptical about installing a paver patio because of ants getting under them and causing problems. i'm never really encountered this question before so i was a little stumped on what to tell her.

besides her needing to address her "ant problem" within her property, what do i tell her, or do to esure i won't have ant problems under her patio? i think it all comes back to lawn and property insect treatments.

any suggestions?

2. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

If you construct the patio correctly, there is no environment for ants to inhabit.

3. ma5tr

ma5tr LawnSite Member
    from toronto

use polymeric sand....polymeric prevents ants from creating ant hills as well as digging beneath the paving stones because the polymeric basically turns to a concrete when set, not allowing ants to pick up grains.

4. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

She can call the exterminator. what makes her think she is going to get them.:waving:

5. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the great answers, this will give me good feedback to take back to the homeowner.

6. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Mix some pesticide in your bedding sand, or apply it on top before you lay your pavers. Even moth flakes work, it you can stand the smell while you work.

7. Majesticman

Majesticman LawnSite Member

I put a product called Terro ant bait on the sand before laying the paver's. It is cheap. Were there is sand there will be ants. At least around here.

8. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Don't mix pesticide in the bedding sand. It will only last a couple of months and you will be exposing yourself unnecessarily while screeding and laying the pavers. Go with the polymer sand and advise the customer not to leave any food spills on the pavers.

9. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Or tell the lady to stay inside

10. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

One more reason we use 1/4" gravel as our bedding material whenever possible and poly sand