How do you prevent Trimmer damage?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Freddy_Kruger, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Up here they call it a weed wacker, anyway What about fence posts and trees, chain link fences are impossible, is there a way to prevent damage other than using a hand trimmer? Or is there a way to avoid doing this work altogether? A guy who is very successful in the business told me if the customer doesn't like the damage he takes round up and puts it along the fence. We never got into what he does around trees.
    I've read in this forum some will want or sell mulch rings (whatever that is) to the customer I'm assuming thats wood chips...

In a related story I know someone who accidently cut off a rabbits foot (the rabbit was hiding under a deck and jumped into the weed wacker. So my buddy had to stomp on its head to kill it, then he bagged it.:confused:

2. OutdoorExtras

OutdoorExtras LawnSite Member

You ask a lot of questions.:laugh: JK To prevent damage to trees you can either be very careful, remove the surrounding grass and replace with mulch or use tree wrap or plastic drain pipe to protect the base. You could also use Round Up to keep the grass from growing there, it will not harm the tree.

3. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

or you could just learn how to trim :laugh: :laugh:

4. easycareacres

easycareacres LawnSite Senior Member

a good whipper dont ring bark trees go practise more

5. Freddy_Kruger

Go pet your quoala.

6. easycareacres

easycareacres LawnSite Senior Member

ok forrest

7. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

Drain pipe works best for trees i ahve replaced a few trees for customers. The key is being careful, the problem is most employees dont really care. Our employees have incentiv,Up to $1200 dollar x-mas bonus if they dont damage properties and work a full season w/o quitting. trim chain link backwards and go slow on the gas and as for wood fences you are screwed , no mater how good you are if you want to trim the grass on the fencepost you have to trim the wood fence also. You just need to go slow spped and lever so lightly.

8. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I use a light duty trimmer for most of my work, you know the kind you get at walmart with the .065 size line. If you keep up with the trimming every week that is all you need. It is very forgiving when trimming around trees and is very light. Mine is a 1999 model year, so what people call light junk has held up very well. Don't get me wrong I do have a stihl fs80 and a fs85r for the big heavy trim work, but most of the time they stay on the trailer.

9. lazerslicer05

lazerslicer05 LawnSite Member

I use a stihl trimmer fs85 at 3/4 throttle and if im scared to hit something i trim backwards pulling the grass from the area im trimming versus walking forward and pulling mytrimmer into the object.... If u can't trim around a tree without hitting its bark get out of the bus cause u will be replacing alot of trees

10. Freddy_Kruger

That's what I was looking for. I just couln't see how to avoid damage to fence posts, I also never knew you could adjust the gas on those things. I am going to get a cheap light trimmer as the last post suggested also.

Thanks guys. (except for that easycareacres guys, he's just a spammer)