How do you price a mulch job?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by merrimacmill, Feb 27, 2008.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering what everyones doing to fuiger prices of mulch jobs. I imagine that you would first start with the cost per cu. yard of the desired mulch. But for labor?? Do you try to get the same "dollar a minute rule of thumb". Or is there something different for mulching?

Also, do most of you remove the old much before putting in new? or just throw the new over the old?

2. TRBIGCREEK

TRBIGCREEK LawnSite Member

45-60 per yard applied is good rate depending on site conditions. If your low overhead you can work for less and still make money.

TR

3. merrimacmill

And how much time are you averaging to spread a yard of mulch? For larger jobs, I do have a compact tractor with a loader so that will cut time as recently discussed in a thread. I've spread plenty of mulch before, but never timed myself or really payed attention since I was doing it on our own properties and not for someone else.

4. TurfCo  LLC

TurfCo LLC LawnSite Member

If all the mulched areas are easy to get to with a wheelbarrow, then I charge the mulch cost, then $30 per yard plus a $35 delivery fee. The harder or further apart the mulched areas are, the higher the labor per cubic yard.

5. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

we are getting out mulch for around $19-$25 a yard and charge about $90-$100 a yard installed including edging and weeding

do a search there are a lot of threads on this

6. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

We charge around $100.00 to $125.00 a yard. We remove the mulch after a few installs when it gets so thick you need to remove it due to mold.

7. merrimacmill

These mulch prices seem cheap. I was paying 40 a yard for Hemlock last year. I was getting it from a local place that gets it from another local place I believe. Do you get discounts or something when you have a contractors account at a nursery or something?

8. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

We get it for $14 to $17 a yard depending on the typer. We buy X amount of yards this year and get a better deal.

9. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

For mulch installations we charge by the cubic yard or by the job...depends on the situation. If its installed along with a landscape its in the total bill and we just state mulch will be installed at X thickness.

You really need to figure out what it costs you to operate per hour, figure your material costs, and then add your labor markup. I don't know how anyone can tell you to charge 30 dollars or 100 dollars or whatever if they have no clue what YOUR costs are.

First, we figure the square footage and round up or down to the next whole number. We then add a markup to the materials. We then figure out what the travel costs (including material pickup/delivery) will be...and yes we charge for us to sit in a truck and get loaded. We then figure the amount of time on the job. For us we calculate that it takes 30 minutes to spread 1 cubic yard of mulch. You also have to factor in any cleanup time. Then figure what you want your labor markup to be. Add it all up and there is your total job cost. Divide by total install yards and you have your price per yard installed.

good luck

10. capeshores landscape

capeshores landscape LawnSite Member
    from mass

id charge 40 bucks per yrd.you dont want to go to high cause you want to get the job.Most mulch jobs you can do a yrd of mulch by yourself in a half hr to 45 min.