1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do you price aeration/overseeding jobs?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Honey Do Crew, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Honey Do Crew

Honey Do Crew LawnSite Member

I have yet to offer either aeration or overseeding and with a drought I want to push hard for overseeding (everywhere I look recommends aeration with the overseeding).

I want to do it on a graduated yard size basis, so a certain sq footage or certain acreage puts the customer into a certain price bracket so there is no bidding or extra hassle. I just don't know what prices sound good. If you can give me your price scale and the estimated amount of time it'll take you that would be helpful, as the cost of living in my area might differ from yours.

Thanks, I hope you guys can help.
  2. eroeder

eroeder LawnSite Member

I do aerations for around 65 dollars per yard. This is for approx. 8000 sq ft yard and it takes me about 45 minutes of aeration time. This price is definitely below the cost of other competitors, but also leads to more business (fertilization, mowing, etc.). I adjust the price by 10 dollars up or down if the yard is a large or small yard.

I can do around 8 - 10 yards a day which nets me 500-650 dollars. I rent the aerator from a local rental company for 100 dollars per day. This nets me 400 clear and I work for myself, so I don't have additional labor costs.

In short, I could charge more but it also nets me indirect sales, which factor into the lower pricing.

See my website page:

Precision Lawn Services
  3. Honey Do Crew

Is that $65 price covering two overlapping passes or is it for only one pass with the aerator?
  4. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I see your a lowballer on your mowing prices, well everything really,$25 a cut REALLY?
  5. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

holy ****...congratulations, the worst website i have ever seen...i wouldn't be telling people to look at your website if it sucks this bad, and what i mean by sucks is, you are straight up telling your customers you will beat any price...you also have a lot of errors, like whether vs. weather, you used the wrong one, and i only read one paragraph...not to mention you also are the definition of a low baller...
  6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

A lot of times people charge 2-3 times the cost of mowing... The biggest hassle is flagging the irrigation system and invisible fence wires...
  7. blk90s13

blk90s13 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am sure this site attracts some customers, the ones that don't pay good.
  8. Honey Do Crew

Is there a free service I can call to flag all the underground cables and what not?
  9. LHS Lawns

LHS Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

2-3 times cost of mowing is what I've always heard. Mine is a 3 pt hitch 60 in model and my mower is 60 in cut.

I can go about the same speed as cutting so that rate seems to be about right.

Did a yard this Spring. Went in two directions, 120 bucks.
  10. GreyFlames

GreyFlames Inactive

You make a good point. A more professional website will allow you to charge more and get a higher class of customer. Always do a grammar and spell check. It has a large impact on how your company is viewed. Best of luck.