How do you price bush trimming?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason, Apr 8, 2000.

1. Jason

Jason LawnSite Senior Member

How do you guys price bush trimming? Need some help on this. need to give a estimate on trimming 2 big bushs, a 40'long over grown hedge,and a bunch of smaller bushes, and haul it away.. any advise helpfull.<br>Thank you,<br>Jason

2. Major Tom

Major Tom Guest

Jason,where do I START.I have had several run ins with these kind of &quot;offenders&quot;.Bid the job five times as much as you normally would do the work for,when they look at you as if they just swallowed a softball explain to them as to why they neglected their landscape for the last three years.This usually works great for me.GOOD LUCK.

3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Look in the big bush and see how many little bushes make up the big bush. Go down the line and count them. CHarge between 4$ and 10$ per bush to trim . If the bushes are less than 10 feet tall. Taller than that tell them to call a tree man. Then double or triple that to haul it off. JUst an idea to get u started.

4. Hello:<p>Charles, is on the right track. I always figured time though. I don't know how big - big bushs are, a 40'long over grown hedge is, or a bunch of smaller bushes is, what I mean is, the size?<p>Lets say the 40' hedge can be trimmed with gas powered trimmers, easy access (less than 6' tall & 4' across). This means you can use 2'ft ladder or one of those dangerous 5 gal. buckets? Then clean out beds & get to truck or street.<p>If I needed work real bad 1 1/2 hours, didn't need work bad 2 hours & didn't care if I got the job or not 2 1/2 to 3 hours.<p>Plus time hauling & desposal fee if it applies in your area. I would add the fee anyway, even if you have a place to dump for free or not. Because the other guys might have to figure this expense in.<p>If bushes require heavy cutting with hand lopers & a little gas trimmers. I would probably come close to doubling that amount.<p>I also figure my cleanups at about $5 a hour less than running major lawn equipment.<p>2 big bushes, lets say 6'tall & 3' in diameter roughly. If I needed work real bad 40 min., & didn't care if I got the job or not 50 min. to 1 hour.<p>Make your own time on different task & keep records of it. Then later make yourself a chart or cheat sheet to go by. It will make you big bucks in the long run when you are bidding those cleanups!<p>Would others please give their time on a job with exact same size hedge & 2 big bushes. I would very much like input from others.<p>Thank you in advance for your time, if you decide to answer the above questions! <p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/

5. Jason

Jason LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies.<br>The big bushes are lilac bushes and they want them cut back to 3' tall and there about 6 to 7' tall now so it would be mostly looper work. Theres about 3 to 4hrs. of work for 1 person. I figured about 100-150 or so. <br>all they wanted was a ball park figure. Is this sound right or to low. <br>Thanks again for the replies..<br>Jason

6. cjcland

cjcland LawnSite Senior Member

loppers? you the same saw you are buying for your tree job, when your cutting them back that far cleanup should be a breeze USE A TARP...<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida

7. FIREMAN

FIREMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from n.j.

JASON I THINK YOU ARE UNDER PRICED, I CHARGE 50.00 HR FOR HEDGE TRIMMING WHETHER GASD OR BY HAND, THIS IS CHARGED FROM THE TIME I PULL UP ON THE JOB UNTIL EVERYTHING IS LOADED ON THE TRUCK AND OFF TO THE DUMP, I FIGURE TRAVEL TIME IN AS WELL AS ANY DISPOSAL FEES THAT I WOULD BE CHARGED TO GET RID OF THE DEBRIS. THAT 50.00 IS FOR THE ONE MAN ONLY IF ITS A HUGE JOB AND A CLEANUP GUY IS NEEDED I GET ANOTHER 25.00 PER HOUR .