1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do you price job for pinestraw and spreading?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnnyjay, Jul 31, 2000.

1. johnnyjay

johnnyjay LawnSite Member

What is a good formular for bidding on mulching beds with pinestraw?<p>Today, I gave my first bid proposal for mulching a shrubbery bed on a bank at the rear of a residential property. The size of bed I figured to be 1000 sq ft. The bed already has pinestraw from last year which is now less than an inch.<p>I had to make a quick calculation since this is my first mulching proposal. I figured coverage at 50 sq ft per bale at 2 1/2 inches and 20 bales total to do the job. My cost is $2.75 per bale for New Straw. The straw dealer is only 10 minutes away and I would pick up the bales and deliver to the job site. I figured $15 for pu/delivery, $1.00 per bale to spread and I added 50 cents per bale for additional charge to customer. My cost would be $55 for 20 bales. My total bid was $100. This would make it $5 per bale installed.<p>If you use pinestraw for mulching what formula do you use to calculate bids. Thanks in advance for your input.<br> <p><p><font size="1">Edited by: johnnyjay
  2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I charge $7.50 per bale installed.
  3. SKDCO

SKDCO LawnSite Member

I charge $9.25 per bale installed
  4. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

I charge 6.00 per bale for non contract customers and 5.50 per bale for contract customers. <p>----------<br>Jeff<br>
  5. johnnyjay

johnnyjay LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for replies. This will help me in future in giving bids.<p>Is my estimate correct for 50 sq ft per bale at 2 1/2 inches? Is this depth ok or should it be more or less?<p>What is good estimate for spreading number of bales per hour?